Another waste of your money... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2009   #1

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Another waste of your money...

NIH Funds $423,500 Study of Why Men Don't Like to Use Condoms - Political News - FOXNews.com

Why do men not like to use condoms? That's worthwhile! I'm confident that there's not a man or woman on Mountain Buzz that doesn't already know the answer to that! Should have sent us the $400K+! New PFD's for everyone!

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Funny.

More funny that the grant mentioned in this article was awarded last June (2008 ). Under Bush's HHS Department.

But I digress. Maybe here's one reason why you might study this: The research age group was 18-24. Studies have shown that the direct medical costs of treating men in the 18-24 age group for STDs are approximately $6.5 billion. Using simple math & the assumption that about 30% of all adults are uninsured, one might conclude that using this research to affect a 0.016% drop in STD cases would effectively pay for the research. I mean, we're going to bear that cost through either taxpayer funded programs like Medicaid or increases in our premiums from unpaid medical care, right?

Not to mention a slight reduction in unintended pregnancies, which also cost taxpayers money.

Now if you want to talk about waste of taxpayer money, we could start with missile defense programs. Using a correlative analogy, that would be like giving a teenager a condom that effectively stops pregnancies 50% of the time. And that condom costs you, Mr. Taxpayer, say, $25,000 dollars. And it'll be ready to use when he turns 50 years old. Yay!
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #3

Bottom line.. tax-payers pay for everything, a study, conclusion and the end results.
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree a study like this is kind of a "duh" waiting to happen, but I also agree that it needs to be done, for the very reasons that flaco states. Maybe we could throw another $500 grand at figuring out why abstinence-only sex ed doesn't work. I wonder why the Bush admin never funded a study like that?

As for missile defense, at least the hundreds of billions or even trillions wasted wouldn't go to single moms, out of work factory workers, your grandma, or (thank God almighty!) to anyone whose recent cancer diagnosis disqualifies them from the health insurance they've been paying through the nose for for the last ten years. I mean come on, what do you think government is for?
Old 06-22-2009   #5

For the people, by the people.

Agreed, gov. throws money around like, its not their money. I guess we ''all'' know why? Its real easy to spend someone else's $$,, for all kinds of programs.

They are all made from the same shirt.
Did anyone like George Perott? No, his answers are too-short, to the point and seemed like he might run things like a biz.
Old 06-22-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Gustafson View Post
Did anyone like George Perott? No, his answers are too-short, to the point and seemed like he might run things like a biz.
Uh, did you mean the Psycho Nebbish, H. Ross Perot?
Old 06-23-2009   #7

Yes, thats the fellow. He did have that ''air'' about him. Not so much on conversation as our gifted, groom-ed OB. Allthough, Nebbish did run a biz, made a pay roll and employed folks at the lemmon-aid stand.

Try visa, dont leave home with out it, price-less!!
Old 06-23-2009   #8

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What amuses me the most about Perot was his anti-government ranting... yet he made his fortune (Electronic Data Systems) from government contracts. Now there's a classic case of biting the nipple that you suckle!

A little "ironic", eh?
Old 06-23-2009   #9

Yes, the little fellow did go on. Surprizing, he was'nt on the halliburton wagon, or was he?