Animas is under attack by City of Durango - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 08-04-2009   #1

Animas is under attack by City of Durango

The city of Durango is attempting to limit river access at night and ban alcohol on the river all together.

Here's the Herald's take on it.

drewboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009   #2

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboater View Post
The city of Durango is attempting to limit river access at night and ban alcohol on the river all together.

Here's the Herald's take on it.

Bummer. I cant see why this is a real shock to anyone. I hate the idea, but the amount of trash i saw last week was disgusting. Everyone in DGO has an boutant device these days, part of the growing pains of a mountain town.

I will still do night floats regardless of laws. What can they do to you? I doubt officer Deaver will come out in the river to stop you unless you look to be light in the loafers........

Can we start using Jet Skis on the river through smelter to take the heat of the rest of us.

In all seriousness, I think that a PFD rule of sorts would discourage a lot of traffic. I hate PFD rules as they go against my values, but that would ease traffic.

scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yep the amount of traffic on the river has grown, and the kids are restless, but WYF Quotes like this, "My officers have been knocking this place out. They love it." lead me to believe that the Durango P.D. just gets a kick out of harassing kids.

27 open container tickets out of 451 calls, not to mention the constant presence at 32nd. Not worth the effort if you ask me!

People need to worry more about them selfs and less about everybody else.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Jeez, from the title I thought a dam or something was threatening the river.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
updates:

Durango Herald News, New rules being considered

Durango Herald News, Durango to address 2010 river issues

note I do not have a public opinion on this so please do not attack the messenger.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
FYI Durango

Interesting article in the Herald this morning:

Durango Herald News, Durango to address 2010 river issues

Although there seem to be several discrepancies, this could be the money quote:

"The proposed changes would affect all private and commercial users of the river, but their target is clear: tubers."
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Banning full moon floats and folks having a beer or two on the river strikes me as a pretty extreme overreaction to the drunk tuber situation.
Old 01-11-2010   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Note - this thread was merged with TMTTR's "FYI Durango" thread
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #9
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Banning full moon floats and folks having a beer or two on the river strikes me as a pretty extreme overreaction to the drunk tuber situation.
No disrespect intended. That's a frontier attitude that I can admire, and wish I lived in that world. Full moon floats with alcohol on river or even before river, is a drowning statistic waiting to pop, and a relatively easy lawsuit against the city waiting to be filed.

Maybe I've pessimistically accepted the 'lowest common denominator' safety (& legal) standard we live by in modestly urban front-range-ville. I also believe it is our duty as knowledgeable river types to tell someone (just once, gently) if I see them on river without a PFD that they shouldn't be on river without one. Who knows, maybe I'm preventing that law suit. I just don't think it's any libertarian infringement given that most people have no idea how deceptive rivers can be.

I think in Pueblo they made illegal craft not specifically made for rivers (or worded to that effect IIRC), and made PFDs mandatory, but I don't know about midnight runs. This after the tragic drowning there during the waterpark's first year.
Old 01-11-2010   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
Bummer. I doubt officer Deaver will come out in the river to stop you unless you look to be light in the loafers........

scott
Two Scoops always gets his man...
Next time he stops you ask him about the time he was shaking down a drunk in front of the Ranch and somebody pissed on him out of one of the upper floor windows.

Tags
animas