An attorney from Nigeria offered me my inheritance today. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-06-2006   #1

Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
An attorney from Nigeria offered me my inheritance today.

Ok, we all know this is a scam. I have received dozens of these letters, and have yet to read a full paragraph before hitting the delete button.

My question: how does this scam work? How do people actually become scammed?

"Hmmm, I never even knew that I had relatives that were royalty in Nigeria."

-David Hughes

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006   #2

Duhrango
Haven't they found the remains of the first homo sapiens in Africa? We're all related. Go get your money :P
Old 10-06-2006   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
LMAO, damn geezer that was funny.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006   #4

Roxborough, Colorado
The con man will send you an official looking check and have you deposited in your bank and then ask for you to wire a portion of the funds back to him for supposed fees or taxes. By the time the check is returned to your bank as "counterfeit" the money you wired will be long gone. You will be responsible for the funds wired and have to pay your bank back. This scam is very similar to the check scam that we see all the time on the boat swaps. Play along with the guy and have him send you the check. They will generally send the check Fed-Ex. At least they will be out the postage. Have some fun with but DON'T wire/send any funds to him.
Powderpinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've heard that they will actually send you plane tics to canada to go meet with someone to make it seem real before you send them your $10g's.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
All of these scammers are easily flushed out with one simple rule. If it sounds to good to be true, then it isnt.

greg
Old 10-06-2006   #7
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
check out http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
Its a page on these scams, how they work, and how a couple people are getting back at them.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #8

Couple plane tickets to Canada, eh? Think they'll cover the extra fees to bring my boat with me? I could use another northern paddling trip .

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's what I got (selling an oarshaft) from Paul Simon!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I so much have interest in your item and as a matter of fact I would like us to complete the sales as soon as possible.

Let me inform you that I will be responsible for the shipment of the item from your location in the united states to my destination in the united kingdom using my SHIPING
AGENT.However, there is one little problem which I think should not be a problem if I make myself clearer to you before I continue with this transaction with you, the
payment for your item will be issue out to you by my debtor in the United States to the tune of the amount he owes me.

My debtor told me that he can only issue out the payment to you in form of a Cashiers Check/Money Order which can either be cash in your bank or any nearest
gas station around your area. All you need do as soon as you receive the payment from my debtor is to deduct the cost of your item and get the excess fund on the
payment wire via western union money transfer to my SHIPING AGENT in the United Kingdom so that he can arrange for the pick up of the item and take good
care of the item.

I want you to deduct an extra US$30 for the time and energy you will waste in transfering the excess fund to my SHIPPING AGENT. Any charges incurred from wiring
the excess fund is going to be deducted from the excess money.

Please confirm your name, address as well as a valid telephone number as soon as possible if you are willing to continue with this transaction so that I
can inform my debtor to issue out the payment in your name in time.

I await your reply.

Regards,
Paul Simon
Jesus Is Lord
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #10

It's not very often you can see Jesus, Paul Simon, and Lao Tsu all within a few lines of each other .
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote