Amendment 74 in Colo? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-28-2018   #1

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Amendment 74 in Colo?

While I typically cringe venturing into political discussions nowadays I thought a good pro-con on amendment 74 would be worthy on the buzz as it has consequences to our waterways.

Would it discourage viable land swaps such as Blue Valley Ranch or Eagle County Open Space acquisitions?

Would some land owners see better compensation for land if it passed?
Would other land owners take the state to court over what they perceive to e lower than market compensation?

https://coloradosun.com/2018/10/21/rachel-richards-amendment-74-opinion/

Personally as a rule of thumb, when voting on amendments to the state constitution when in doubt vote no.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018   #2

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
As the Mayor of Salida I see amendment 74 as an absolute disaster drawing money, time and resources from real projects to pay for lawyers to defend virtually every decision government makes.

I agree that most ballot measures should be legislated and not in the constitution. the consequences of amendments that don't look at the bigger picture and are inflexible, difficult to change or amend are dangerous i.e. the TABOR/Gallagher conundrum we face every year.

Cheers,
P.T.
ptwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I am a vote no to pretty much everything guy as well and also typically try to avoid talking about this shit as much as possible as I don't know that anyone or thing on the ballot has my best interests in mind.

I also agree with PT that it could waste a bunch of taxpayer money on lawyers fighting lawsuits, which is about the worst way to spend it as far as Im concerned.

That said, could another side to 74's passing be that govt MIGHT think twice before doing dumb shit that may cost a bunch of money in either payouts to land owners and or lawsuits defending said dumb choices/acquisitions made by govt?

Its certainly one that I have actually considered, though likely leaning towards no, per usual.

intersted to hear some other thoughts?
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018   #4

Please vote no!
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018   #5

I see it as a disaster. Only people who will benefit is wealthy landowners and their lawyers. All on the backs of ordinary tax payers. Please vote no. I'm terrified this will pass.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think that a measure of just how bad this is can be found in the fact that the opposition is pretty solidly bipartisan. So that would be a "no" for me.

Seems like just another way for the 1% to fleece the rest of us...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
yeah, I guess it is pretty silly to think that it might make the govt think twice before doing dumb shit.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I voted no.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote