Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Amateurs, Dude ...

Amazing .. just amazing Click HERE

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007   #2

I think calling them amateurs is giving them too much credit. How stupid can people really be?

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
that was awesome. I can't believe how slick those roads are!
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007   #4
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
was that first guy trying to get away, why did he just keep going and going. or was this road a hill, and was gravity helping out. the video said the guy witnessed 15 accidents. when i first started watching i thought it was going to be the first guy hitting 15 different things. if you don't know how to drive in the ice and snow, you should just stay home. the last car, it looked like a suby outback, didn't even let off the brakes one time . everyone should watch this video and then think of it before they go out driving in icy conditions. you could hear the one woman saying something about having her small children in the car. that is child endangerment. taking them out in those conditions was just stupid. i am 99 percent sure that none of those people were out driving to some appointment that was a life or death matter. driving that day very well could have been a fatal mistake though.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #5
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
the perspective looking down from the balcony doesn't fully represent the hill well -- it's steep.

the water content in the low-elevation snow that falls out here is a lot higher than in CO. so the roads & sidewalks get ridiculously icy & slick whenever it gets cold or snowy here. i've busted my ass walking several times in the last week. it also means that the creeks will be running good soon.

you know how people in CO who, just because they own a Tahoe or Outback, think they are invincible in winter driving conditions? it's the same out here, but with way icier roads, super steep hills with cars parked & pedestrians everywhere, & drivers who see snow/ice like 2 or 3 times a year... no wonder the smart people stayed home from work yesterday.
Old 01-17-2007   #6

engineer
There goes the insurance rates....

I believe this is from Portland Oregon, or Seattle Washington..... Saw it this morning on the news...

1) Pretty slick steep roads.
2) Maybe not so experienced drivers...
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007   #7

Vail, Colorado
That my friend was awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't understand why people think they can be out in their car in that kind of weather.

This happened in Iowa back in college, mid 90's, and everyone just stayed home. At no point could you even walk out side w/out falling on your ass. Thats what happens when you have a 4 inch sheet of ice over an entire town.

Thanks for sharing that video, good stuff.

~Stevesie
Old 01-18-2007   #8
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG
you know how people in CO who, just because they own a Tahoe or Outback, think they are invincible in winter driving conditions?
it is usually people who are on vacation here and aren't from colorado who do this. those of us who live here know better. the other thing is that snow tires make all the difference. people in the pnw obviously don't have the right tires to drive in those conditions. i've seen cars in steamboat sliding around on the ice, but it is usually someone who drove here from a warm climate, and doesn't have the right tires for the conditions. earlier this winter i turned up a somewhat steep hill and saw these fishtailing spin marks in the snow leading up as far as i could see. just around the first corner i pulled up beside a guy and his family who were stuck on the hill in a four wheel drive chevy suv. they had slid backwards downhill and were stuck on the side of the road, and were kind of blocking traffic. they could not get enough traction to get turned around. i stopped my two wheel drive, rear wheel drive van and asked them if they needed help. the guy asked me if i knew a towing company he could call. he wanted to get his truck up the hill to the condos they were staying at, but couldn't make it. i didn't have a phone book, but told them to call the police and get some help. i then took off up the hill, i know this guy was amazed that a two wheel drive van could stop and start on this icy hill, and he couldn't even make it up in his suv.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007   #9
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm
those of us who live here know better.
after spending +/- 12 years living all over CO, i can say with some degree of certainty that there are PLENTY of CO drivers -- both natives & noobs -- who don't know how to drive in winter conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm
people in the pnw obviously don't have the right tires to drive in those conditions.
um yeah, they only sell "the right tires" in CO. i'd be willing to bet a giant pile of money that even with your right tires & "i'm from steamboat" drivin' skillz, you would end up pinballing all over the neighborhood i live in on an icy day.
Old 01-18-2007   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
No way, bra, I'm like the best driver ever.

Props for the Walter Sobchak reference. You need a toe? He can get you a toe.