AFGHANISTAN: THE MAKING OF U.S. POLICY, 1973-1990 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-08-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
AFGHANISTAN: THE MAKING OF U.S. POLICY, 1973-1990

I posted an article in the "Calling for a Time Out" thread that tried to shed some light in regards to the history of Afghanistan. It was then ridiculed as "complete shit" by Timbertroll. At the time I believed it was timbertroll who was the blinded one, but now I think I understand why he said this. Since then I have looked further into trying to find other accounts of Afghanistan history and have stumbled onto one of the most impressive essays I have ever read on the history of this war-torn country.

Afghanistan: Lessons from the Last War

This link is from George Washington University's National Security Archive, which is "An independent non-governmental research institute and library located at The George Washington University, the Archive collects and publishes declassified documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. The Archive also serves as a repository of government records on a wide range of topics pertaining to the national security, foreign, intelligence, and economic policies of the United States. The Archive won the 1999 George Polk Award, one of U.S. journalism's most prestigious prizes, for--in the words of the citation--"piercing the self-serving veils of government secrecy, guiding journalists in the search for the truth and informing us all."

The new linked article shows that the "complete shit" article I posted does in fact have many historical truths in it, but it also showed me that the author of the "complete shit" article did interject some personal opinions and assumptions.

The new essay is very long, but if you have the time to read it and are interested in learning some amazing things about Afghanistan history and some past policies of the US in regards to Afghanistan I highly suggest you read it. You will also see a few other links that are very worthy of reading.

Enjoy!

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
thank you marko.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Marko, aren't you also in grad school? Where do you find the time?
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009   #4
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Ha... funny you should mention grad school when I'm on the buzz instead of writing my paper right now. Guess I'll get back to work... after I check my facebook inbox.
Marco if you could lay out the high points of the history article it would save me some time... I abstained from the Time Out thread for lack of time. Peace.
Old 02-09-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
Marko, aren't you also in grad school? Where do you find the time?
Helio, I am not in grad school. Not sure where you picked up on that idea. I was taking some classes at CMC Breckenridge this past fall semester.

Truth is... I am just a autodidact-intellectual-wannabe-hack who lives the ski/kayak bum lifestyle. I have often thought about going to grad school, but first things first...I need to finish my undergrad. Also, I am selfish and don't want to waste my life in some shitty city while at the same time going deeper into debt with school loans. This could change though....

gotta go to work.

later
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Fuck. I gotta look up auto-didact!
This NEVER happens!

(5 minutes later)
For the chorus, it means 'self-aggrandizing jackass'