Address to the nation - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2009   #1

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Address to the nation

G'DAMN that guy is one good speaker!!! It's why I voted for him....how can you listen to him and NOT be inspired, NOT feel good about our country and what we stand for. Quite the eloquent speaker.

However.....can any of you please enlighten me on how his MESSAGE was any different than G-dubs regarding the specific issue spoken upon?? Spoken far more powerfully, granted....but how was what he said much different than the evil Bush empire's message for the past 8 yrs?

30k more troops, how do you guys feel about that....and how would you have reacted if Bush had made the call?

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Powerful speech. Confusing message. I'm torn.

Is 30,000 enough? Is it too late? Did Bush/Cheney completely eliminate the possibility of success with the Iraq distraction?

Obama is screwed no matter what he does. The public is done with Afghanistan after 8 years. He has very little support for this escalation, despite the fact that it's 10K fewer troops than McCrystal requested. And people are moaning about the limited scope of the mission and the 18 month timeframe.

It's a mess and I'm not sure it's going to get better. One thing is for sure: Dick Cheney better shut his stinking piehole. A huge part of the reason that Afghanistan is a mess is because of his obsession with Iraq.
Old 12-01-2009   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Good speaker?? I suppose but he's reading prepared text from a TelePrompter. I guess he delivered it well.

Setting a time line was unnecessary and I wish he hadn't said it.
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Good speaker?? I suppose but he's reading prepared text from a TelePrompter. I guess he delivered it well.

Setting a time line was unnecessary and I wish he hadn't said it.
Jesus. WHO doesn't read prepared text? Gettysburg Address. Prepared text.

The right's obsession with the teleprompter is laughable and lame. That's all you got? You got shit.
Old 12-01-2009   #5

"WHO doesn't read prepared text? Gettysburg Address. Prepared text."

I believe the person wrote and gave the Address himself. The one tonight didn't write it.
flipover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I feel the same way as I said on the dear leader thread. More troops means more senseless deaths. But there you have it theo, yarmony, et al, he made a decision. At least he acknowledged the concerns of those opposed. He did seem a little disappointed in audience reaction.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Jesus. WHO doesn't read prepared text? Gettysburg Address. Prepared text.

The right's obsession with the teleprompter is laughable and lame. That's all you got? You got shit.
You're right he's an eloquent speaker. Dude he says whatever the teleprompter tells him to. Obsession? Hardly...and coming from you RIP that is laughable.

Here's a good laugh though and I'd love to hear what you'd say if this were Sarah Palin?

Old 12-01-2009   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Theo, he gave the general what he asked for mostly. He made an executive decision and explained his reasoning. Give credit where credit is due.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #9

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
get 'em out. we'll never win in that situation, so why commit more. he's screwed regardless. if he sends troops, it's not enough, too costly and will increase the deficit/debt, and is too short of a timeframe. if he withdraws troops or doesn't send more, he didn't finish the job. either way, in the right's eyes (and to some extent the left's), he's f'd. not an easy situation to be in, but he wanted it, and he just made it his.
Old 12-01-2009   #10
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Theo, he gave the general what he asked for mostly. He made an executive decision and explained his reasoning. Give credit where credit is due.
Well it's nice to know that we're going to get "mostly" what we need to fight AQ. I hope you were screaming bloody murder that the troops were being short changed in Iraq when it came to body armor and armored up vehicles? I believe the right answer is General we will give you 110% of everything you need to fight and win.

The numbers requested by General McCrystal weren't just pulled out of thin air you know? They are part of a plan and now that plan has 10K less men attached to it. General McCrystal is fighting AQ and that is his ONLY job. I don't understand hamstringing him and unnecessarily stating an exit time line. I expected better.