A Vet's F-You to George and Richard - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 03-19-2013   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A Vet's F-You to George and Richard

Pretty powerful stuff. Needs to be shared.

Truthdig - The Last Letter

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Young men and women dying for Corporate greed, its an old, old story. The oil companies bought the oil White House that they wanted and they worked from day 1 to find a way to invade and open up Iraq's oil fields. Now, oil companies are making trillions in Iraq. Bush and Cheney and Rice have fat checks from Halliburton. Tax payers are stuck with a 2 trillion dollar bill, soldiers are injured inside and out and thousands dead. Its freaking pathetic.
Old 03-19-2013   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Why the war in Iraq was fought for Big Oil - CNN.com
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013   #4

Durango, Colorado
Don't forget that they managed to piss away any moral authority this country could claim in the world. Between torture, indefinite detention without trial and hiring mercenaries we became exactly what we were supposedly fighting against. This is ignoring waging aggressive war (an actual legally defined war crime for which we hung Nazi officials at Nuremburg) and all the "collateral damage" it causes. Worst president since Herbert Hoover.
Old 03-19-2013   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Interesting article.

Reflections On a Major Debacle | The Big Picture
Old 03-19-2013   #6

Golden, Colorado
If this is a major concern for you (and it should be), look at who has the will to change it. (Hint: it's not the democrats.)
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #7

Durango, Colorado
You mean the Iraq war? Fox news may not have mentioned that they did end it. Almost a year ago. In our political system we're limited to two political parties. Out of the two, I'm almost always going to pick the one whose members believe in evolution, global warming and maintaining the nation's credit score.

As to the article GH put up, it's true. The entire ideological driving force for the war was the neo-conservative idea is that democracies don't fight wars with each other. Beyond Bush having a personal beef with Saddam, a major driver of the war was the idea that they could invade a country that had virtually no civil society, instantly set up a well functioning democracy and that it would automatically be our friend. At the time I have heard (and this is complete hearsay) that some administration officials considered Iran next in line if their neat little Iraq adventure went according to plan. Unfortunately for everybody except Exxon-Mobil and Iran, the idea was retarded and the people who planned it incompetent.
Old 03-19-2013   #8

Golden, Colorado
No, I mean our Imperialist foreign policy that uses foreign aide, and when that fails, our military to protect corporate interests around the world; the Iraq war only being one (and by far the worst) example. But Obama's drone attacks are perpetuating the hatred toward the US bred by Bush and Cheney.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The corporate powers are too strong within our political system to counter their effects. Couple that with the very non-Christian "evangelicals" who have no problem allowing, nay, encouraging, our present administration to continue killing Muslims, and you get orgasmic drone fever. There is a huge chunk of our population that would love nothing more than to engage in a war with Iran, and then later complain that we spend too much money on education and social programs.
Old 03-21-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
This isn't a political blog. Ya'll need to get back to checking your gear and filing for permits.

But, if you must spew politics, get your facts right.

The decision to invade Iraq was supported by Congress; Publican and Dummycrat. Heck, even Clinton believed Iraq had WMD, cause, you know, Saddam used em on his own people. Remember that?

And a war for the oil? Really? Then how come I'm paying $4 a gallon? And how come "big Oil" isn't in Iraq now pumping oil our way.

If you have to contaminate the joint with this kind of spew at least check your facts.

And support our troops. They are the reason we can Spew nonsense, float on the river, and eat Ice Cream for breakfast.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote