Wolf Creek Warning.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2013   #1

Wolf Creek Warning....

Just to let everyone know the Rio Grande forest Service is back at it again.
There are 2 "officers" one female, one male cruising the parking lot at wolf creek Ski area looking to bust people for smoke, open canister etc....

My buddy was approached today, they acted real friendly at first, then it turned to your "acting real nervous, we think you have marijuana" He was not openly smoking, just getting in his car to go home...

He was told if he tried to drive away he would be arrested, unforn. my friend is young (20's) didnt know his rights and gave up bag of shake...followed by a 275 dollar ticket.

Weed is now legal in CO, but most ski areas are on federal land and federal rules (I assume) apply, which weed is still illegal, Class 1...but your rights still apply,

I'm a 20 yr WC local and have seen this fron the forest service in the past, and have been approached myself in the past for open canister...they were in ski gear, not uniformed, and other locals have been ticketed in the past...

on a positive note the condtions are fantastic right now

kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
So...maybe....
don't drink, or get high at a ski resort. In an effort to sound cheesy, with a little powder, a bluebird day, and some buddies...it seems a little augmentation may be a little overboard. wait until you're old enough, grow up a bit, and perhaps stop endangering those around you both on the slopes and on the road. I'm no expert but I would think a little less hassle, preventing a bill of $175, and a clear mind might be just the change once in a while.
DRomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Kelly..... You rock. Thanks for heads up. DRomine.............. isn't it past you bed time?
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for sharing....and Dramamine, ease up on the preaching.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRomine View Post
So...maybe....
don't drink, or get high at a ski resort. In an effort to sound cheesy, with a little powder, a bluebird day, and some buddies...it seems a little augmentation may be a little overboard. wait until you're old enough, grow up a bit, and perhaps stop endangering those around you both on the slopes and on the road. I'm no expert but I would think a little less hassle, preventing a bill of $175, and a clear mind might be just the change once in a while.
Awesome first post!
mulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #6

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
dromine why don't you just stay home and mind your own damn business. paul revere,kelly.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #7

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
So...maybe....
DRomine. . . Free your mind, your ass will follow.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #8

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
So...maybe....
Get off my lawn!!!!
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Damn, that sucks. What is the forest service doing in law enforcement thats completely unrelated to forest management? I've been having take out and apres ski parking lot parties for the last 15 years and have never been hassled. Guess I have just been lucky.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I'm pretty sure that regular FS employees can only write tickets for infractions that directly affect the forest like littering, cutting green wood, driving on closed roads, unattended fires etc. So unless the ranger is a Forest Service LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) they should have no business with with you. This might be a moot point because they probably wouldn't hassle you unless they are a LEO. Maybe ask for their badge to make sure it says LEO on it. Also you can tell a LEO because they carry guns, the regular rangers don't. I'll double check tonight and let you know.