Winter is not over!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-21-2010   #1

The next zone, .
Winter is not over!!

Ok so I know most of you are goin to Az to get in a early boatin fix but for some of us from mid March - mid April is the best part of the ski season!!

This thread is my yearly tribute to the long ski season we have here in Co.

Now I am as ready as anyone to get out on the rio... With that said I hope to bump this thread with a pow day on May 7th!!

Anyway here is a TR and some pics from the past week or so here in south central..

"They say 8" up at the resort I wonder how much they got up on the pass???"

Greybird and tons of snow = short runs with lots of outs..

Then the sun came out..

And as a last note stability is still not that great out there... I got asked why this pic was not in perfect focus. Yea I wonder....

Finally one from yesterday. -10 deg = cold smoke!!

I hope to bump this thead a bunch here in the next month or so but we will have to see what ullr has to say about that..

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's about to get going again...sounds like we have a string of storms poised to move in all the way into mid-April!
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
nice photos. you guys get after it pretty hard. nice job.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have to agree about winter not being over yet. Granted I am in southwest Denver, but have not seen this much snow fall in such a short period of time in a while. Probably close to at least 6 inches or more in about 3 hours, hard to tell with how hard the wind is blowing. Lights are dimming and then coming back on like power is soon to go, saw on channel 7 15,000 without power....

Hoping other areas are reaping the benefits of this storm as well, but nice to see a good dump on the front range to bring hopes of maybe a Bear Creek running, or at least add to the flows of Clear Creek and others.

Keep adding to that snow pack. Let it snow, let it snow!
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
For winter not being over, it sure did feel like spring on Mt. Yale today...not that you can't still ski/ride in the spring, in fact I find the best and safest backcountry turns can be found in the spring...

Old 03-29-2010   #6

The next zone, .
Nice pics it looks like thigs were good over on Yale as well..

The past two days have been my best two ski days of this year and pry the best 2 day session in the past 3 - 5 years. Sometimes it all just comes together. I found so many new zones and lines that my head is still spinning.... With the best snow and stability of the year to boot.

As murphy will dictate the best days are when the camera will break and the only lense for my canon got a sled parked on it.. So I only had the old point and shoot and did not get that many pics.

Here are a few from sat.. It was very cold so the snow did not sun bake out at all.

The quote of the weekend was - "I still cant believe that we can drive the length of this ridge.." Oh yea!

Lookin down my first line of the day.

Yea but the snow was not that good..

And on to the next one...
Old 03-30-2010   #7

The next zone, .
Here are a couple of more pics.. Not jokin I had Jay Z in the headphones over and over the past couple of days. Stuck on the "On to the next one" song..

It looks like one team has been workin on their "powder 8's" ... So a warm up and then as Jay would say "on to the next one"..

We were able to ski 2 of the 3 ridges on the right of this pic.. This time of the year the terrain around here is "endless".. Then "on to the next one"..

Yet another high alpine ridge with lots of options and quick laps.. Time to move "on to the next one"..

Another "new zone" the trees on the bottom left of the pic is a playground.. My 2nd pic is what I was using to tell where we were at on the way down and what to look for. Such a fun zone..

And on to the next one..
Old 04-03-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Although Spring made a fleeting appearance last week, without a doubt "Winter is not over"...mother nature made this very evident today on Mt. Antero.

But we did find some decent turns, despite the weather...

Whenever this storm is over, I bet Cottonwood is going to be AWESOME...the backcountry everywhere is getting better...except for those damn winds...
Old 04-05-2010   #9

The next zone, .
You guys are right it was nukin that day!

We are in another round of winter here in S. Central.. I am just recovering from a multi-day winter camping trip where the temp on Thurs am was -5...

Here are a few shots from the trip..

Do we have everything?

The snow was good even before this last bump.

Yep that is a paco pad..

Good times. One of the best trips of the year for sure. Some vid soon to follow....
Old 04-06-2010   #10

The next zone, .
The best part about winter camping is that you have paco pads around...