Why is that dog in you'r car? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2011   #1

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Why is that dog in you'r car?

Ok what gives,you go skiing or boarding and bring the dog so you can leave it locked in the car all day Does anyone think that dog likes it? Leave the dog at home or don't ski & take the dog for a long walk !

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011   #2

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Personally, My dog would much rather go with the family and wait in the car while we ski than stay home by herself. I usually check on her every few hours and let her out to run a bit.
There are so many different dog personalities out there that you can't generalize what's best for all of them.
I always find it interesting that people with ill behaved dogs usually keep them on a leash and get irritated at others for letting their dogs run around free.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Personally, My dog would much rather go with the family and wait in the car while we ski than stay home by herself. I usually check on her every few hours and let her out to run a bit.
There are so many different dog personalities out there that you can't generalize what's best for all of them.
I always find it interesting that people with ill behaved dogs usually keep them on a leash and get irritated at others for letting their dogs run around free.

I agree about leaving a dog in the car. Sometimes I will take mine to the hill and come out every couple of hours and walk them and play with them...I'm pretty sure they are happier this way then sitting at home waiting.

However, on your other statement I must say something. I have always been a person who buys puppies, trains them well and allows them off leash 99% of the time. 1.5 years ago I got a male Golden Retriever from a Denver rescue, he had been through 4 owners and was only 2 years old...he has issues, lots of them, but I try hard to work with him to get better. I have to leash him because he can be unpredictable, sometimes a little aggresive. I like to try and socialize him with other dogs, but when a stranger runs up out of nowhere when I'm not looking it makes it tough to maintain the discipline I have worked so hard on....so all I ask is if your dog is under verbal command, try to keep them in view, that way you can give commands if a situation happens.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011   #4
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Yup...I've got a couple dogs, They love hanging in the car all day! If I leave the doors open, I know where to find em'...They would rather hang in a cozy plush den just like fox, coyote, and wolf. I think the only reason they leave the den is for food, water or to use your car & stuff for a bathroom. The only time I let them out is when it's above 120F. Had three dogs, all wild and off the leash without collars...I had to have computer chips implanted, in-case someone like you calls the pound...
Old 03-28-2011   #5
Free and Easy

Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
OK, what gives, you go skiing or boarding and spend enough time walking to my truck (which is really far because I get there late) to see if my dog is locked in there all day instead of getting a good day in on the hill? My dog does like it because she thinks she is protecting my shit. Maybe next time I will leave the window down so you will try to pet her. She would be so much happier biting your ass because she thought you were stealing my shit than she would be sitting on the couch all day with no handi-sped to bother her. I understand you are concerned about the well-being of canines that have no control over the situations they are involved in, but I am only seconding Bryan's observation. My dog lays in the my seat to keep in warm for me, and eats people that touch my shit. She's earned the right to go wherever I go. Everybody understands if your teacup Chihuahua doesn't have that respect.
RiverCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #6
Free and Easy

Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
And I admit that now I am a handi-sped because "My dog lays in the my seat to keep in warm for me" sounded pretty ridiculous. "In my seat...keep it warm". Proofreading works!
RiverCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #7

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah,I do think he likes it. My dog is infinitely times more happy riding up to the mountain w/ us,vs sitting at home. He knows the routine....play fetch,climb snow mounds and then happily jumps in the back of my truck to lay and wait. He gets relief every couple hours for safety meetings and lunch. At the end of the day he gets even more excited b/c he knows its his turn to go next and rip up loveland pass. He's faster than you,piss off
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #8

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I usually leave my girlfriend in the car too. she cant ski and she doesnt want to be left at home.
smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #9

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I see my dogs all week,I have a big house for them to protect.I leave the window open just to see some burglar's blood! Personaly I spend my ski day skiing not dog sitting.My point is of the animal neglect that I saw this weekend.Glad you take care of you'r dogs. The owner of the one i saw should have been arested an may have been!
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #10
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Indoor bathroom for a big house so you can leave all day to go skiing.

~

~YOUR NOT HOME ALL-DAY DOG BATROOM VIDEO~

~INDOOR DOG BATHROOM~(for your big house) CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

~