Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-05-2010   #1

Louisville, Colorado
Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain

Hi all,
Considering a trip to Whitefish next month, I have never been there before. Looking for beta on cheap lodging and ticket deals - and if you want to give away your favorite powder stash I'd love to hear about that too.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
Hi all,
Considering a trip to Whitefish next month, I have never been there before. Looking for beta on cheap lodging and ticket deals - and if you want to give away your favorite powder stash I'd love to hear about that too.
They just got hit with about a foot. More coming. Looking good. Not there now but I spent a great winter there.

YOu board or ski?

I can Pm some beta or maybe some folks to hook up with when there.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #3

Louisville, Colorado
Carvedog,
I ski - tele style. I dig the bumps, steeps, and powder glades. Even though I am as strong as used to be - I still got some skills. Looks like I may be traveling solo on this one, since hubby is having a "boys weekend" that weekend. I bet I'll just as much if not more fun. PM Away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 99
Big Mountain is a nice, intimate mountain with lots of woods and zero lift lines. But if you are willing to drive a couple more hours from Missoula (and not set on Whitefish), I'd put Big Sky above Big Mtn. for the interests you listed. You could also fly into Gallatin/Bozeman. My lodging experience at Big Mtn was a family condo type thing, so I don't know what the econo options are, but at Big Sky I stayed at a Comfort Inn (or equivalent) that was nearby and reasonably priced. Another upside to Whitefish's relative proximity to Missoula is that Snowbowl is a great local mountain with cheap lifts and a very lax atmosphere. Staying in Missoula and skiing Snowbowl would be the easiest logistically speaking, but you might want to look at a trail map and figure out how much time you could spend there.
mafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #5

Louisville, Colorado
Hmm... that last post was supposed to say I am not as strong as I used to be. Guess that was some wishful thinking. I am pretty intrigued by Whitefish - no lift lines and lots snow sounds like a good place to be on a holiday weekend. If I am going to be by myself intimate might be more enjoyable, it would just be for the weekend. Might save Missoula for a longer trip with more friends and family.
Old 01-06-2010   #6

My daughter spent 4 years in Whitefish, Big Mtn is great. As stated, NO lift lines, great glades and trees. Very easy to meet friendly locals for tours of secret stashes. Stayed at the Downtowner many times, cheap, big rooms, outdoor hot tub, a block to ski bus, crawling distance to the bars.

P.S. Do not stay at the Downtowner if the New Zealand rugby team is also staying there!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Catwoman, I love to ski and am free most of the winter. I LOVE Whitefish. would be interested if you need a travel partner. Will split everything and do work. not looking for a free ride.

bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #8

Louisville, Colorado
Plane tickets bought! For real cheap thanks to hubby's flyer miles. What a good guy! I will be skiing Whitefish Feb. 20 and 21. Still solo so far.

It is good to hear folks like it so much. My mom learned to ski there over 40 years ago, she is considering catching the Empire Train in from the NW. She won't be the ideal ski partner, but it would be good to see her.

Bob, If you were in Whitefish I'd love to meet you and catch some runs. I do like money and sex (with my hubby). We should hang out. But we shouldn't share a hotel room, that could make for trouble on the home front - especially since hubby and I don't really know you (yet).
Old 01-07-2010   #9

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
yuppieaspenfish

first off aint nothin cheap in whitefish, it is as yuppie as it gets, second the locals are so tight lipped on stashes, if you even thought of asking you will be shunned, definitly go to big sky, or fernie bc, 2 hours from aspenfish. i would avoid the town totally
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by northfwestg View Post
first off aint nothin cheap in whitefish, it is as yuppie as it gets, second the locals are so tight lipped on stashes, if you even thought of asking you will be shunned, definitly go to big sky, or fernie bc, 2 hours from aspenfish. i would avoid the town totally

May you haven't asked nice. But with that kind of attitude it's no wonder.

And if you really think that Whitefish compares to Asspen somehow in terms of yuppieness - you really need to go spend some time there.

Obviously you don't like Whitefish so go away. I found a lift tix and lodging deal for $70 per person per night. YOu can't even find a latte for that in Aspen.
Grab a clue, they sell them somewhere.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote