Where's the snow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2017   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Where's the snow?

Snow snow snow snow where is the snow snow snow? This time of year sucks! Hurry up snow!!

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017   #2

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Couldn't agree more.

We got snow in Oregon yesterday. Kinda early for us and I am sure it will go away before it comes back but it is a good sign.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Somebody has been skiing already this season.

Mt Bachlor
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017   #4

cedar city, Utah
Early cold snap and snow in many high country regions of Utah. Not gonna last but great to see.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would rather see the peaks stay bare until mid December. If you love lapping the lifts then I guess your concern for snow in late September could be semi valid..... but for those of us who like to skin for a portion of our vertical each winter early snow = depth hoar = avalanche danger. The best winter I've had in the backcountry was 2008 when it didn't start snowing until mid/late December, then we got like 70" of wet heavy snow in 5 days. Best, safest base I've seen in Colorado in my whole life. Courtesy a December Pineapple Express.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I would rather see the peaks stay bare until mid December. If you love lapping the lifts then I guess your concern for snow in late September could be semi valid..... but for those of us who like to skin for a portion of our vertical each winter early snow = depth hoar = avalanche danger. The best winter I've had in the backcountry was 2008 when it didn't start snowing until mid/late December, then we got like 70" of wet heavy snow in 5 days. Best, safest base I've seen in Colorado in my whole life. Courtesy a December Pineapple Express.
That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
The best winter I've had in the backcountry was 2008 when it didn't start snowing until mid/late December, then we got like 70" of wet heavy snow in 5 days. Best, safest base I've seen in Colorado in my whole life. Courtesy a December Pineapple Express.
I was still living in the Sierra foothills in 2008 but came out to visit a friend for a long weekend. We spent two days lapping Marble bowl. I thought it was just a regular sort of outing, but I haven't been back since.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
I'd like to see snow. I'm not going to be getting any back country turns this year. I'm skiing with a 3 yr old. More time on the snow the better for us. Besides there is no water in the river, and I don't like the donkos. What's there to do other than catch up on all the projects I put off this summer. Now my wife calls skiing with my daughter parenting so it cant have any selfish motivations. Last spring she did great at a basin, can't wait to ski with her now that's she is 6 months older. So come on snow! I don't care about you earning your turns. I'm gonna have fun with my daughter!!!!(a bit selfish I guess)
Old 09-23-2017   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Snow in the foothills and higher elevations of Colorado!
Old 09-23-2017   #10
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
I looked at Loveland live came and didn't see anything. I will check again. It will put me in a good mood.