Where is the best skiing in Summit County right now? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-09-2005   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Where is the best skiing in Summit County right now?

I'm heading up from Durango this weekend just wanting to make some turns. Out of A-Basin, Loveland and Copper which has the best skiing and the least amount of crowds?

Is it going to be totally crowded this weekend? Is it worth the drive?

Thanks the help.

durangoskiier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
too crowded
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #3

Loveland is the best for no crowds....at least when they have some runs open. If its still just a white strip down 2 runs, forget about it.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005   #4

Systems & Process Design, Colorado
when there is snow A-Basin is uncontested in Summit.
Old 11-09-2005   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
So......it is not worth going? If I do go it looks like Loveland on Sat and A-Basin on Sunday. Is this the best choice? Who has the best runs open, quantity and quality? They are all about $40 a day, is there any better deals?

Thanks
durangoskiier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Unless you'll already be in the vicinity and have got more $$ and time than you know what to do with, I'd recommend watching football on TV, reorganizing the garage, going for a hike, or enjoying a beautiful fall day doing something else.

-Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #7

oh yeah
is backcountry an option? jone's and berthoud are good. please bring a beacon, shovel, probe, and the knowledge to use them at a minimum.
-dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
How's the loveland BC been looking? Anyone been?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #9

Tomorrow is opening day for Breck and Keystone. Anybody know what they plan to open tomorrow?
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005   #10

student
For the love of God...In bounds skiing in Colorado SUCKS in November, usually in December too. The only year it was decent before Christmas that I remember was in 1997. What will they open? There base will be at most 20 inches. What can you ski with a 20 inch base? What do you think is a good base? All of your questions can be answered with the snow report. It will be 1-2 runs of hardpack. It will suck. It will be crowded. It will be like this for a while. It is like this every year for the past 250 years according to my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather who just picked up his first pair of twintips. If you are coming up from Durango for this, you are crazy and you must have a jonsing like no other which I applaud. But be prepared, you have a good chance of dissapointment. Normally, WC is going right now and we could all experince what the NW is going through.

The best bet is the BC, as long as you know the ropes and places to go. Areas that get wind blown will have the best snow, but also be high risk. November for skiers is what april is to boaters, It is a tease. It can be hit or miss depending on the weather. Inbounds skiing this early however, will always suck and just be a way to get out and feel your edges, legs, crisp breeze, and a chance to freshen up gaper jokes. You know what though, it is still fun.

it is 77 degrees on the front range...I am going golfing!
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote