Vail resorts pre seaseon ticket sales up 13% - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 10-27-2009   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Vail resorts pre seaseon ticket sales up 13%

in 2002 we made a decission to leave Colorado for Utah. A major factor in that decission was skiing. Here is a typical conversation I hav on the lift today. Where you from? XXXX. We skiied summit county for years, but now we can come here, ski just as many areas and only ride 30 minutes from the airport.

The resort industry their needs to do something about that traffic. You have some of the most amazing resorts on earth, but you are losing the high ticket skiers that stay a week and pump money into the economy because of the traffic jam. I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested in hearing your ideas. I understand it has gotten alot worse since 02.

Not intereseted in an in resort out of resort debate.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
traffic???never been caught in it....oh yeah i work weekends...midweeks rock

now denver traffic....now that sucks
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #3

Park City, Utah
Thanks for your thoughtful responses! Clearly I am a geek to be interested by this logistical nightmare.

The snow is still coming down!!
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
well there isnt many options to the traffic mess on 70....the only logistical thing that could be done is push weekday skiing...what else could be done...there is the ski train...but with only running one it does not have a noticable effect on traffic...
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Plus the ski train only goes to Winter Park right?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Why not have train(s) that disgorge skiers at Winter Park, Kremmling, State Bridge and Glenwood with public transport from train stations to Steamboat, Summit, Vile and Hasbeen? Seems kinda simple, and way more fun than dealing with I-70 and US 40.
Old 10-28-2009   #7

Park City, Utah
Ski train

I used to rent out a couple cars on the ski train for a client outing every year. The problems with it were down town parking, and it was really slow. If they built a train to summit with a supporting bus system, it would be great. Particularly if it ran more than once a day.

What about banning semis on that section of interstate during weekend. What about widening the corridor. What about free parking for parties with four or more in their car. What about making the flow one lane in the wrong direction. Lots of possible solutions, none of which are easy, and none of which will solve the full problem by itself.
Old 10-28-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
2 new lanes that go towards summit in the morning, towards Denver in the afternoon. Add a new tunnel at Eisenhower for the directional lanes. Use toll revenues to finance a large portion of the project. That would double the capacity in each direction at peak traffic times. Rather expensive - yes. Effective - yes.

Does anybody know why they stopped using three lanes directionally at Eisenhower? The worst traffic jams happen when they close Loveland pass and then stop traffic entirely to let hazardous vehicles pass through the tunnel. Allowing one bore to stay open to 2 way traffic while allowing hazardous vehicles to pass through the other would at least make the traffic jams a little less serious. Also a third bore would go a long way in these situations - as would banning hazardous materials vehicles from the tunnel during peak traffic times.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #9

Park City, Utah
Now that is the sort of stimulus project I could get behind!! To Nor Co's point, the areas out here have weekday passes that are a couple hundred cheaper. Problem is that your season passes are so cheap already.
Old 10-28-2009   #10

Duhrango
Hey Canada. You can go to CDOT's Web site and get all the ideas that people have brought up in all the town meetings they have had over the last 2 years. No decisions yet but all the ideas brought up by CDOT and the Public are on there.

Why the f shut the tunnel down to thousands of skiers to let a few haz mat truckers through the tunnel is beyond me. Let those dudes sit until after 9AM then let them through. Rocket science.