Total Dweeb Newbie Question Re. CO Season Passes For 2011-12 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 03-16-2011   #1

Kansas City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 1987
Total Dweeb Newbie Question Re. CO Season Passes For 2011-12

Hey Everybody!

So, anyway, here's the stuff.

This was the winter I got seriously hooked on skiing, and am planning on at least two, maybe three trips out to Colorado next season, hoping for three or four days per trip. I'd go for more at one time, but y'know, work and all that.

Meh.

Anyway, I've been trying to scope out the best deals on passes, ideally multi-resort, for this coming winter. It looks like the Rocky Mountain Super Pass is up and available just since a day or two ago, and looks like a pretty good deal - esp. the Copper/WP version with the Steamboat six-pack tie-in.

Are there any other comparable passes or deals out there (say $400-$600) that would be worth considering? And are there any restrictions I ought to know about (i.e. must purchase in Colorado/at resort, etc.)?

I've done a bit of research but am approaching this as basically an ignoramus, since I haven't even set foot on a mountain out there (yet).

Any suggestions or inside skinny appreciated - thanks!

hatrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Think your looking at that pass or epic pass for most variety best deal:

Epic Season Pass - Ski Passes

I would consider how you are getting here as some resorts are an easier drive than others.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #3

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
unless i'm missing something here, you don't need to buy a pass to ski 8 days. why not buy a 4-pack for loveland and winter park? if you're driving from KC, those are the two closest to you. you'll have to find lodging for loveland, but that won't be a problem for WP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
I think you have to be present to buy a season pass, unless you have one from last year that you can renew online.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd say two 4 packs for Winter/copper would be the cheapest as The Dude pointed out. The WP/Copper/Steamboat would be good if you can get 10 days including the 6 at the Boat. Epic variants are great if you can get cheap lodging in summit but remember that parking in vail is pricey if you're not part of a big group in a little car (fat man in a little suit?). I think you can buy your pass online. You just have to show up to sign the waiver and get your pic taken. At least that's how it's been in the past.
Old 03-17-2011   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Check out the Monarch Pass. You won't get to ski at the Summit/Vail resorts....but that's a good thing.

I purchased my pass for this season for $329. It gives you unlimited skiing and riding at Monarch Mountain.

Plus you get three free days (with no blackouts) to Loveland, Durango, Powderhorn, Sol Vista, and Sunlight in Colorado. You also get three free days at Sipapu, Angel Fire, Red River and Pajarito in New Mexico. As well as three free days at China Peak in California and Indianhead in Michigan.

But that's not all....you also get half-price tickets to Alta in Utah, Taos in New Mexico and Arizona Snowbowl, and you get 3 free tickets with purchase of lodging at Revelstoke British Columbia and 3 half-price tickets with purchase of lodging at Grand Targhee Wyoming.

You also get a bunch of other pass holder perks like 10% off your booze at the Jug Liquors in Salida, discounts on lodging, and even a free Brown's Canyon raft trip with River Runners.

In my opinion this is the best ski pass as far as what you get for the money.

Monarch Mountain Colorado Ski Resort - Season Passes

http://www.skimonarch.com/forms/IncentiveSheet_2010.jpg
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you are coming out for the Colroadeo experience don't get the monarch pass. You'll want to hit up Summit county and have a variety of mountains to choose from. Check out the epic pass or one of the Vail resorts combo passes. They have 7 packs next year too.
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #8

Kansas City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey, everybody - thanks for the input!

@ The Dude & hojo - I'd really like to make it 10-15 days' worth of actual skiing in total, so my figure in the initial post was probably a little lowball. Not sure about just where I'll end up anyway - Copper looks handy by car, WP if I come out on the train, and air's at least theoretically possible . . . .

@ lmyers - interesting thought! Not sure if I'd want to limit myself to just the smaller resorts, since if I'm coming all that way I ought to go for the full-on big mountain experience. OTOH, I hear lots of good things about Durango & (esp.) Monarch - great snow, not crazy busy, not crazy expensive, either.

Again, thanks to all of you! More research begins now, and here's to next winter on the mountain!
hatrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #9
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Check out the Monarch Pass. You won't get to ski at the Summit/Vail resorts....but that's a good thing.

I purchased my pass for this season for $329. It gives you unlimited skiing and riding at Monarch Mountain.

Plus you get three free days (with no blackouts) to Loveland, Durango, Powderhorn, Sol Vista, and Sunlight in Colorado. You also get three free days at Sipapu, Angel Fire, Red River and Pajarito in New Mexico. As well as three free days at China Peak in California and Indianhead in Michigan.

But that's not all....you also get half-price tickets to Alta in Utah, Taos in New Mexico and Arizona Snowbowl, and you get 3 free tickets with purchase of lodging at Revelstoke British Columbia and 3 half-price tickets with purchase of lodging at Grand Targhee Wyoming.

You also get a bunch of other pass holder perks like 10% off your booze at the Jug Liquors in Salida, discounts on lodging, and even a free Brown's Canyon raft trip with River Runners.

In my opinion this is the best ski pass as far as what you get for the money.

Monarch Mountain Colorado Ski Resort - Season Passes

http://www.skimonarch.com/forms/IncentiveSheet_2010.jpg
Wow, all this and no happy ending? Oh wait, that is the river trip!
Old 03-17-2011   #10
Fry

The OC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
The full-on big mountain experience is way over rated. The smaller resorts offer good terrain (depending on where you go, the terrain beats a lot of the big mountains), less crowds, and more bang for the buck.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote