Time for a ski burning party in Colorado? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-26-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Time for a ski burning party in Colorado?

Ok...I have not seen this little snow in Colorado (FrontRange Vail etc) in over 10 years. When I lived in Jackson Hole we used to have a ski burning sacrifice party....to the snow gods? Anyone with any other suggestions.....

Harvman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009   #2

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
A sacrafice on the blue moon may be in order.
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #3

Suggestion: Do something else. Burning skis will make a significant contribution to the process that is reducing our snowpack and stream flows, therefore, burning skis for snow is pretty idiotic. Come up with something else...or stay cemented in the past, whatever.

Even here in Crested Butte, the big pre-winter festival Vinitok, where all the locals would burn their skis and boards does not continue that particular part of the tradition (though we still have a massive bonfire) because of the intensely concentrated toxins resulting from burning them.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009   #4

Icebox, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
Suggestion: Do something else. Burning skis will make a significant contribution to the process that is reducing our snowpack and stream flows, therefore, burning skis for snow is pretty idiotic. Come up with something else...or stay cemented in the past, whatever.

Even here in Crested Butte, the big pre-winter festival Vinitok, where all the locals would burn their skis and boards does not continue that particular part of the tradition (though we still have a massive bonfire) because of the intensely concentrated toxins resulting from burning them.
Thanks for the lesson, but I don't burn skis I burn Virgins becuase they are less toxic.
Old 12-29-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
Yea! Don't you know you have to burn snowboards to appease the angry snow gods?!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Snow Boarding Virgins work?

Of course that would constitute 90% of the male population in the terrain park!! I also think it would be thin on the female side.

Thanks for the sense of humor today guys!!
Old 12-29-2009   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
We need Caspermike to prey to the gods again and sacrifice his girlfriend like last year.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandyoso View Post
Thanks for the lesson, but I don't burn skis I burn Virgins becuase they are less toxic.
Good luck finding Virgins in Colorado.....................
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #9

Icebox, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Good luck finding Virgins in Colorado.....................
I import from the Bible belt, do a quick snowboard lesson and then they are ready for their big night.

Oh yeah everyone start doing there snow dance, three days of touring on tap.
Old 12-29-2009   #10

Professional Transient, See above.
particulate

Meng, but wait! While you may be right that putting those toxins in the air, on a more long term and wide scale application, likely destroys our snow and atmosphere; what about the particulate matter you'd be putting in the air? Wouldn't that help in the short term by putting more nuclei into the super-saturated atmosphere? Every snow crystal needs a nucleus to form around.

j/k

Cheers,
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote