Thoughts on Snowboard Size - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2011   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Thoughts on Snowboard Size

Hey All,

I just started riding and I was able to trade a guy a basically unused Burton Canyon with Mission Bindings for an old pair of skis I had. Seeing as I knew nothing about the sport, I figured a 167 would be an okay size for me (I did some research on the Burton website and it looked like someone 6ft and 240 could ride a 167)... however, after a few days on the board, it feels really hard to turn. Of course more practice could probably cure this, but I'm wondering if I'm on a board that might be making an already steap learning curve, even steeper.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
It's a good deck and bindings. Did you say that you're 6ft 240,or that that is just what Burton's website recommends? The Canyon is for big feet and big(ger) riders,if I remember right.

I used to ride a Canyon(6ft 225) and never noticed anything unusual about it. It was a fun board. It's not near as hard to turn as my Never Summer Titan(which i love). Just keep practicing.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
It's a good deck and bindings. Did you say that you're 6ft 240,or that that is just what Burton's website recommends? The Canyon is for big feet and big(ger) riders,if I remember right.

I used to ride a Canyon(6ft 225) and never noticed anything unusual about it. It was a fun board. It's not near as hard to turn as my Never Summer Titan(which i love). Just keep practicing.
Yea, I'm 6ft 240, size 9.5 dogs... the Burton website says I should be on a 163, so that has my "newbie curiosity" going... thanks for the beta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
It's too big for you. When you get better it will still be to big for you, but manageable I think.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
2.54cm (or something like that) is equal to 1 inch. So your looking at around 1.75 inches longer than a 163cm board. Which is not that much unless you spend your time in the terrain park. In the powder you will like that extra length. If I am not mistaken (which does happen) that board is stiff. So it will make it harder to turn until your ability catches up. Either way its a good board, not one that I would buy but a good board none the less. Enjoy the ride, you made a good trade.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
A 67 too big? No way. And he's not that small.

Grown men don't need to be riding anything in the 50's. Unless its a Jones Hovercraft. My cousin is much smaller than you and still rips it up on a 67. Like LD said,in the deep,you'll love that length. Hell,you may even find yourself wanting longer. I ride a 64 and 65 and finding myself wanting more length all the time,esp in the deep. Soo many f'n knuckledraggers riding around on tiny boards these days. Don't do it,man. Unless you wanna jib,but that shits on the way out....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The need for length in a snowboard is way overstated. Unless you are pointing it down truly massive faces you don't need a diving board underneath you. He's trying to learn, and very simply shorter more flexible boards are easier to learn on. I do just fine with my '59. I'm a lot shorter and lighter, but I learned on a 49'-'51(don't remember exactly) only about 10 lbs lighter. If I regularly rode 30+degree pitches for 3000+ vert in 10 or less turns I wouldn't feel the need for something bigger.

Stop the self hate. knuckledraggers are cool, jibbing is here to stay and if you can't handle a snowboard in powder than maybe you should spend a little more time shredding and a little less time on the internets.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #8

Durango, Colorado
You should be fine on a 167, you are just now learning so you dont know what you like just yet anyways. Are a few cm really going to make a difference anyways? NO. I ride a 168 on a reg basis 5ft 10 165lbs. I also ride a 153 pretty often, its just a different experience. The 167 should be nice and stable for you. figure that thing out first, everything else will be nice and playful after that. The learning curve is not very big, figure out the basics and its a very quick learning curve after that. Get with somebody who ACTUALLY knows how to instruct and things should go smooth. Good luck have fun. The canyon is a good board, will rip in all sorts of conditions.
GorillaBoofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #9

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Agree with Gorilla. That board is fine. If you are just learning, proper instruction will really help. There are tried and true progressions that not only help you to pick it up faster, but also prevent the jarring downhill edge catches that are so discouraging. If you go to a smaller resort on a quiet midweek day, you will likely get a one on one if you sign up for a class lesson. I work at Vail teaching snowboarding, and if you have the time and money, Vail has a 3 day beginner series where you get lift and lesson for $270. It's a lot of money, but $90/day is not bad for lift and lesson. Good luck. Enjoy!
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #10

Denver, Colorado
Sounds like it is a touch big. In addition, that's a fairly stiff board. So there is no doubt that it will be a touch harder to turn. I always recommend for beginners to be on the small side of boards if anything since it is easier to learn on.

All that being said, you'll be fine. Just might take a little longer for you to start comfortably/confidently linking turns. I would never tell you to go buy that setup, but you did seem to get a good deal on it. Rock it for a bit, and go from there.

I started on a like 147 noodle that barely felt bigger then my skateboard, it sucked, but it got me on the snow.

Tags
size