telle advice please - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-19-2009   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
telle advice please

im thinking im going to telle this year...ive been poking around looking at equipment...i dont know what to look for...i think ill be a fast learner since im an expert alpiner and boarder and ill be going 1 or 2 times a week...does anybody have any advice for a telle nubbie?

NoCo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
wow im pumped...cant wait to be a newbie again...nothing is funner than learning again...
Old 10-20-2009   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
I got a few tele days in the backcountry last spring, but I'm new to it this year as well. For me it is a way to make the little shitty local hill interesting again, and I definitely like it better touring than my split. I'm a solid skier and snowboarder as well, so I think the new turn should come quickly. Not much advice to offer, but have fun!
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009   #4

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Try Telemarktips.com, it's the mt buzz of the tele world. Have fun
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
As far as equipment your feet will have to tell you. Garmont for wide feet, Scarpa for narrower and I don't know any thing about Crispy! Then again my new Scarpa's do seem wider then my last pair. Bottom line is you want a plastic telly boot and you just need to try some on. If you ski hard, you will probably want a stiffer, more buckle boot as apposed to a softer less buckle boot. I do not take my T-race into the backcountry, but I do all my touring on my T-1s. I just keep the T-1s looser when climbing.

As far as skis, what ever type of ski you liked for Alpine is a good place to start. I tend to use lighter gear for backcountry, but that is more since I use my powder skis for backcountry anyway. My quiver is a mix of Alpine boards and telly boards.

Your Alpine experience is a plus, since your ski reflexes are the same, it is just a different way to pressure your edges. The boarding experience will not help you on your tellies. Your downhill(front) ski stabilizes you while your uphill(back) ski does the turning. Think pressure your big toe on the front and your little toe on the back. Now go out there and have some fun!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
my advice would be get good boots. hard plastic with at least 3 buckles. the old school soft boots will require much more practice and you will go a lot slower over all.

all the new schoolers are charging with plastic boots with 4 buckles.

also get a flat tail ski. I think it will help you learn the turn, without washing out as much.

and lastly, make sure you focus on the tele turn, not the bent knee'd alpine turn.

Concentrate on dropping your weight between your legs. if you pressure the front ski and trail the back that is not a tele turn.

You will know when you bag some tele turns, you will be spent.

I was good till noon everyday for about a month until my body got used to it

good luck, its so fuckin fun, especialy in the powda!

PS 6" = faceshots on a tele ski
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
How do you get face shots in six inches of powder, Bob? Oh yea, I have seen you, your talking about your faceplants! They don't count! jk!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
thanks...everyone says plastic boots...i got a wide foot...ill try on the garmonts first...now how heavy of a boot should i look for....do all boots work with any binding????if i got a heavy ski wouldnt i need a better binding and heavy boot???
Old 10-20-2009   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hey, just my 2 cents on this--I was up in the air whether to go w/ T-1's or T-2's (I have a narrow foot so I was def. in a Scarpa) back when I was first getting my gear--so I put a T-1 on one foot and a T-2 on the other to compare, and it was no contest I went with the stiffer T-1--and I started out with a pretty heavy duty set up, 185 Atomic snoodaddys with Rottefella R-8 Cobras. I was pretty similar in my alpine and boarding experience, fairly advanced, so I was pretty comfortable jumping into that set-up, and was very pleased with it

That being said though, I have read that a softer boot and less active binding are more conducive to learning better form--supposedly you can't rely on the stiff boot and binding, and are therefore forced to used better form...oh well, I pry don't have the best form, but after 3 seasons I think I've got pretty good technique, so it's kind of a toss-up from the boot/binding stiffness perspective for me--but I went with the stiff boot/binding and a big ski and was really happy

yes--a heavy, stiff boot/binding is better to drive a big, stiff ski--I've got 190 verdicts with 02 bindings now and they are a WORKOUT! But since I've got only 2 days on 'em so far for the season, I'll get used to them once the season really kicks in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
thanks...everyone says plastic boots...i got a wide foot...ill try on the garmonts first...now how heavy of a boot should i look for....do all boots work with any binding????if i got a heavy ski wouldnt i need a better binding and heavy boot???
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #10

NoCo, disregard everything you have read on this thread if you really want to learn how to tele.
Boots need to be leather, buy some extra laces(red and black) as they will break. Asolo makes some good un's, but anything from the dolomite region of Italy will suffice.
Ski's should be about 20 cm longer than your alpines, old noodly bump or slalom skis are best to learn, check out what your local shop is throwing away. In a year or so you can look into some Tua cirques or sweet ruby mountains to help with the kick and glide.
Bindings should have cables instead of just the three pins, you can usually take the cables off for hiking. Voile are the best. Be carefull putting your skis on or you will end up with 6,7,11 holes instead of the three your boots came with.
Backpack should be green or any other earthy color with a side slot for water bottle, compartment for saftey kit and place to stash you shovel.
Showers are discouraged, as well as washing any of your gear. No better plan to get a club chair so you can enjoy your safety kit.
Most of all, you must stop shaving, beards are required and make you look really cool when caked in snow.
Good snorkle and beacon top it all off.

Help out buzzards, what did I miss.
The decade????

lmao

KIR
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote