Tele Boot QQ - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2006   #1

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Tele Boot QQ

Howdy Folks,
After 15 years of snowboarding, I have decided to start skiing again. However this time, I am going to move on to Telemark skiing.
I have been doing a little research on boots, and I am wondering what other people would recommend. I am looking for boots that will "do it all". WIll spend most of this year at the resorts to work on my skills. However, I also would also like the boots to work well for backcountry touring. I havent figured out the differences between boots very well and would love any suggestions, recommendations, etc.
Thanks a bunch,
Roger

willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
T2X will get'er done. The T1 is the best on the market.

I did the same thing last year. I changed from riding to skiing and went the tele route.

168 Hippy Stinx
T1 boots
G3 bindings (the yellow ones)
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #3

Vail, Colorado
It all depends on your foot configurations. Each company has a niche on the tele boot market ie. Scarpa = narrow high arch hich volume. Every company has a diverse line (BC ALL Mountain Mix Down hill) you need to find the brand that fits you best. I use to tele boot fit at Boulder Ski deals. You can do all the research you want but you really need to see a professional. Boots are the most important item you will ever buy for the mountain. PM me and I can give you some contact numbers for some of the best boot fitters around.
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006   #4

With the advent of the thermofit liner, lots has changed in the boot fit market. The resort/touring niche is supposedly the Scarpa T2X and Garmont Syner-G (Crispi has one too, not as familiar with their line, but they are good boots.). However, the thermo liners lightened up boots so much that T1's with thermos are lighter than older T2's without. I do lots of tours on my T1's with no problems, but probably you should start with the slightly less beefy model.

As for the differences in fit that Steve Zizzou mentions, that too has been largely (but not entirely) mitigated by the thermo liner, because the liner forms to your foot so well, making the shell itself a bit less of an issue.

regardless, thermofitting your own liners is not a good idea for a beginner, so I do agree with the advice to see a good bootfitter. You also want to insure that you are properly shell fit (this is a length issue), again something a good fitter should do. If they do not first size your foot in the shell with the liners removed, they don't know what they are doing.

The good thing about tele boots is that it is simple, there are only 3 manufacturers to choose from.
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I second what Steve Z says- you have to get fitted for the shell. I'm one of those guys that has to fit Scarpa- high arch, low volume. No other boot works, even with the thermofit liners.

Get yourself professionally fitted. Better control, certainly comfort, and warmth are critical to a great season or a shitty one.

Err on the side of a pure resort setup. There are few tours that you're going to want to do in your first two seasons that you can't get done in a stiffer boot.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006   #6

For a "do it all" boot I'd second the t2, syner-g or crispi equivalent depending on what fits best. Fit is key. These style boots are great for touring and will still drive the biggest of skis in-bounds. That said, I know plenty of folks that tour with the bigger boots (T1, ener-g) and like it.
pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #7

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Willie man,
Yep to a pro boot fit. I recommend Neptune's, BOC (by rep only, never been fitted there, but I hear good things), or Bentgate. If you are in the mtns, Wilderness in Silverthorne or the shop in Breck. I think you are best to get a fitter who really knows their tele boots and can make a good recomendation. It is snowing ever so lightly just above my house as I type this........ Sorry, got a little lost there.
Old 09-09-2006   #8

Shit Creek, Colorado
Willie man,
Yep to a pro boot fit. I recommend Neptune's, BOC (by rep only, never been fitted there, but I hear good things), or Bentgate. If you are in the mtns, Wilderness in Silverthorne or the shop in Breck. I think you are best to get a fitter who really knows their tele boots and can make a good recomendation. It is snowing ever so lightly just above my house as I type this........ Sorry, got a little lost there.
Old 09-09-2006   #9

Shit Creek, Colorado
Willie man,
speak of peace
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006   #10

Shit Creek, Colorado
Willie man,
speak of peace
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote