Technical Ski Terms - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-23-2009   #1

Technical Ski Terms

submitting a new technical ski term

Skiing w/8 before today told him "to wait for those yahoos" before we jumped in. After the yahoo's went by he asked what is a yahoo. how to explain in a nice way what a yahoo is was a test in parenthood. I came up with.

Yahoon) someone who is out of control and does not know it.

alway fun to google stuff to find out the history but yahoo doesn't work, try it.
I believe the origin of yahoo was from a town in s/w texas called El Paso(Where I feel in love with a mexican girl). Quail hunters, not Dan, reffered to drunks shooting at all birds and yelling YAHOOOO as yahoos. When the ski migration took them to CO they continued their namesake call and the namesake went with them.
I believe this term can really take in everyday spoken english, hopefully better than "feld"(hey it isn't holded it is held).
Wait till "W" has recovered from his time in the spotlight and he can conjugate it.
I think Barak should listen to his advisors so he doesn't yahoonify the situation.
Hillary just doen't have enough international experience and is really yahoonificating out there.
Dick is baned from hunting on my ranch, just look up yahoo in the dictionary and there is a picture of him.

KIR

SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
Youtube proof of yahoos

And nice signature now...
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #3

steve ate grif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009   #4

B.F.E., Wyoming
Bahaha
GOT DANG IT!
I think I crapped my pants!
I think Steve is Grifs cousin from Louisiana
Old 02-24-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Gaper

Know the meaning. Would be interested in the origin.

Are those clips real, or an act?
Old 02-24-2009   #6

B.F.E., Wyoming
Pretty damn sure they are real.

I always thought that gapers got their name from the act of pulling to the top of a run and Gaping down at it.
Or from the gap between googles and helmet.
Old 02-24-2009   #7

gaper vs gaper

The new term gaper, meaning the space between goggles and brain bucket is newer. You can also have gaper strip, sunburn between goggles and brain bucket.

The original term started with, yes drugs.
During my last enlightenment in a navajo sweat lodge I heard an ancient shaman explain in Dine, Hastiin Łigaii Tů Yoo'į. My translator explaind he wants man to see white water(snow). He further explained that after eating payote, man will stare(gape) at snow.
In the middle ages, people who visited the "pharmacist" were oftern seen gaping at the world.
Early skiers at Taos took the gaper word from Europe and added it the navajo tradition of peyote induced gaping to include anyone who stares at snow.

How is that for the origin?
Old 02-24-2009   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
the gap between googles and helmet.
That would be known as "The Gaper Gap". It is the gap between ones hat and goggles, or helmet, I suppose. Also easily seen as a crescent shaped sunburn on a tourist's forehead.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Toas origin?

Ssnowden, Awesome analysis. I don't think it originated in Toas. I grew up skiing there and Pajarito and never heard the term tell I moved to Colo. While the ridge runners certainly experimented alot, I never heard Gaper until the early 90's as a skier. It was a rare thing to see a helmet in that time frame as well.

Still pretty creative. Did you pull that out of your head or off the net?
Old 02-27-2009   #10

Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Here's another term

Joey... Although I prefer Gaper or Yahoo (pronounced with a hard A), Joey is another term that gets used to describe the same sort of folk. I think its more of a New York and New England term that is specific to starter jacket wearing New Yorkers or Bostonians. Any other interpretation? Have fun searching for the etymology!
ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote