Summit Daily News fires reporter who criticized Vail - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 12-11-2009   #1

Golden, Colorado
Summit Daily News fires reporter who criticized Vail

This is sad: a long-time Summit Daily New reporter was fired after he reported on Vail's shady practices regarding the reporting of snowfall. Vail threatens to pull ads, the reporter is fired. Here is Susan Greene's op ed column about this story (yesterday in the Denver Post):

Greene: Advertising flap snowballs for Vail Resorts - The Denver Post

Both Vail and the Summit Daily News have been very busy with cleanup duty since yesterday when Greene published her article exposing this mess. They are commenting here:

Greene: Advertising flap snowballs for Vail Resorts - Article Comments - View topic - General Discussion - Article Talk - Denver News Columnists : Denver Colorado Neighbors

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I'm not sure which is the bigger non-story:
Colorado resorts lie about how much snow they have on their slopes?
Newspapers have to bow to corporate interests?

The Vail resorts probably didn't have to threaten to pull advertising. All they had to threaten was cancellation of lift passes to the Summit Daily staff and the piranha ate their own.

What percentage of Vail skiers/riders are Coloradans anyway? Pretty small I'd bet.
Old 12-11-2009   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Thank you for posting this

I have advocated for the introduction of Vail into Utah and was disappointed when they did not prevail in the purchase of the Canyons resort. I felt their advancement of cheap lift tickets would help me. Three kids means I put out some coin every year to PCMR or DeerValley. This has caused my view to change. Having three owners in one town allows for open and frank discourse on development and the balance of corporate with community. I had not considered the negative impact of the Vail monopoly on my SummitCounty brethren a state away. While arguably, they could not have held such a big stick here,
I see them in a different light today. I have an annual client pilgrimage over to Vail every year. Maybe this year we'll switch to Jackson Hole. I have to ponder this. Does anyone have a link to the story in the Summit Daily? I read the editors response, but couldn’t find the offending article.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Corporate bullies and spineless newspaper publishers. More reasons to avoid Summit/Vail.
Old 12-11-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
straw that broke the back

If this is the article, I'm mystified. There must be much more for a man to lose his job.

Berwyn: Has weather science been hijacked for marketing? | SummitDaily.com
Old 12-11-2009   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I own a business that advertises everyday with both the Summit Daily and Vail Daily. I know a lot of the staff at both papers. So I can tell you a few things about how it works over there.

First, even smaller advertisers like myself can get "advertorials" run every now and then, and it is easy to get on the rotation of PR type people they call for comments.

Second, I have had my rep tell me straight up that the Daily won't run a story harmful to my business. I was told specifically that they have a policy of not running a story that intentionally harms any local business, even if they are not an advertiser.

Third, were I in Vail resorts position I would do atleast as much. I've instigated retractions and massive rebates for smaller offenses.

If you are offended by the idea that advertisers, upon whom the publication of a FREE daily paper rests solely upon, have loose control over the content of that paper then you are naive. If the Summit/Vail Daily were being paid by their readers then we might have a different situation here.

But even with that said, in these small ski towns we all need to work together to ensure our own profitability. If that means editorializing the "news" in order serve marketing purposes I am in support of it.

Finally, I do agree that the author was wrongly terminated. After all his editor read and approved the article. But no one fires his good friend. I would bet that the author (who I do not know) had been on his editors hitlist for a while and that this was simple opportunism.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #7

The Ranch, Colorado
Yeah, read the article and it was actually pretty good. I think the copy editor over-glamorized the "subterfuge" of the slope industries. This was hardly a hack piece against the ski resorts. It's rather disappointing to see them react so negatively to it. Guy should not have been fired, at least for this article.
Old 12-11-2009   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
He didn't even call out the resorts by name, it is false advertising to report lots of snow if it's not falling on your mountain. Aren't there laws against false advertising?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Wow, that article was pretty bland when it comes to confratation. He just muses that maybe the resorts should be more transparent about their reporting of snowfall in general. I bet in a way Berwyn is happy he is looking towards more serious publications. If you are a decent reporter, it has to get old quick working for the Summit and Vail Daily.

As far as the Summit and Vail daily papers, they are pretty worthless anyway. What do they take, 3 minutes to read? When I lived up there, I would grab one everyday, less for the content, more for the kindling value for my wood burner!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #10

The Ranch, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
He didn't even call out the resorts by name, it is false advertising to report lots of snow if it's not falling on your mountain. Aren't there laws against false advertising?
The laws against false advertising are enforceable in the same way as the laws against speeding: only the most egregious and the most harmful can be targeted.