Splitboards? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2006   #1

steamboat, Colorado
Splitboards?

Can I use any old bindings on a split board?

soft boots?

anybody know where I can get a used set up? Only one on ebay, and it is a 164. I don't see any in gear swap either.

What are your thoughts on making one? Will the sidewalls hold up where you cut it?

thanks

latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006   #2

Re: Splitboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenightjoneser
Can I use any old bindings on a split board?
Yes, any type of snowboard binding will work on a splitboard. The only exception I can think of is if you have a burton binding whose discs are not compatable with the four hole patter.

Quote:
soft boots?
Yes

Quote:
anybody know where I can get a used set up? Only one on ebay, and it is a 164. I don't see any in gear swap either.
Yes, try the forums on Splitboard.com

Quote:
What are your thoughts on making one? Will the sidewalls hold up where you cut it?
You can do it and it works. You won't have an inside edge for your ski's. It can crossing a slope a bit harder. You'll also lose a lot of the flex the sawed board used to have. Still, they are better than snowshoes.

Quote:
thanks
You're welcome.
Killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Do it, and leave those F'in resorts behind. I ride a NeverSummer legacy 166 of the homemade nature, soft boots, burton mish bindings. You'll get by without the full edges, just epoxy the shit out of em.

Keepin up with skiiers on the traverses is tough but I keep up with the other splitters just fine. Also, the sidewalls do lose a bit of flex like he said but hey, if my shit didn't break on a recent trip I took...it goes to show they still take alot of abuse and hold. Course Neversummers are Flippin bad ass.

What kind of board do you want to split. Do you know the core material...Wood...I wanna say you can't split aluminum core boards but maybe I'm wrong.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006   #4

FLOWTORCH

Did you make bindings that release? I heard it was possible to rig freestyle bindings so they would release.
Clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Explain what you mean by release. The straps or the bindings themselves...as in they release if you were to scorpion or something??
Old 09-26-2006   #6

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
I suggest buyin the whole setup from Voile, they make a badass split. They are the pioneers of the biz and keep perfecting it every year. It comes split, several new lengths this year, comes with all the hardware (interface) that you need. Ridin will never be the same. Shhh, don't tell all your friends, i'm gonna be pissed if i start seein a bunch of Broboarders in the backcountry.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #7

Do you have somekind of release to get your boots out of the binding if you need to (like say an avy)? I've heard of these baseplates with somekind of release bolts that get you out of your board by pulling a cable or someshit. Or am I listing to rock smokin ppl on the lifts again?

I've always wanted to try splitboarding but the hard boot/binding system is part of what drove me to freestyle boarding in the first place.

/scorpion? with the sting?
Old 09-26-2006   #8

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
I don't know about the releasable bindings either, at least for boards. I use Burton C-60's and Cartels for my bindings and I have Vans boots. I also splurged on a Burton S-series(their splitboard) 162 to go with my Voile Mtn Gun 171 splitter. GET A VOILE!!!

Oh, and scorpion refers to being wrecked and havin your feet come over your head like a scorpion. AKA Ragdolled
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #9

Damn, see that scares me. How would you swim in a slide? It'd be like having cement on your feet.
Old 09-26-2006   #10
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
They might be smokin rocks, Joe Rogan. Sorry, another joke reference. Nobody ever gets it.

I dont know, I've never heard of such a thing as the ejector seat releasable bindings dealy you speak of but it wouldn't surprise me if there was such a thing. Still, boarders ride the BC all the time without a device like this....just kinda the risk you take. Sounds kinda gimmicky, usually if an AV starts you should be paying attention to finding an escape route, safe zones, peeling off, straightlining,etc...and if you get swallowed up it's probably too late anyhow. Nah mean? Nothing substitutes for good Avy knowledge, common sense, yadayadayada.

Ride whatever is comfortable for ya though. I have friends that use burton bindings, salomon bindings, etc.. I know one guy who rides hard boots in his burton C60 bindings for the mountaineering aspect of it and it doesn't change his steez none. Most people I know use soft boots and regular bindings. It goes. Just give it a try and you'll love it.

The Voile Kit is a pretty sick deal too.