snowmobling on Aspen ski resort? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2009   #1

steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
snowmobling on Aspen ski resort?

does anyone know what the rules are concerning this. I alway see people sledding up there after the mountain closes. could be some good post season turns up there?

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009   #2

Frisco, Colorado
As an employee of another ski resort, I can say with confidence that a ski area's lease agreement with the USFS allows for them to be the only operator of OHV machines on said leased land.
master of disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #3

backcountry ski bum
Pretty much all ski resorts prohibit private snowmobiles within ski area permit boundaries. Climbing skins and lungs are generally OK though, and healthier for you to boot!
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009   #4

Salida, Colorado
The sleds you see on Ajax usu come up Midnight Mine or Little Annies Rd from the back side and poach the upper mtn and bc. Right now conditions below 9500' are deteriorating rapidly so you may submit your machine to some detriment. There may be some crews working on lifts and shutdown for patrol etc so I'd say leave it alone and if you head up there just hit the bc. Respect the men and women who work hard to keep the mtn safe all winter. No prob parking your machine at the gate and climb skiing the upper mtn tho.
Old 04-23-2009   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Officially sleds are not allowed, but the current mtn manager seems to turn a blind eye to them, which is cool. They are hurting nothing and not annoying people in the back country. I skinned up last weekend and saw about five sleds with some young children included turning laps on Bell and the dumps. The old mtn manager had guys up there on sleds chasing people off. There are currently about ten private sleds near the Alps on lower Little Nells. If you have a desire to do it, go up soon before the roads are cut. If they have a problem with you, they will just ask you to leave. Be aware and safe and respectful of the patrol and lift mechanics up there and you should have no trouble
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #6

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
Officially sleds are not allowed, but the current mtn manager seems to turn a blind eye to them, which is cool. They are hurting nothing and not annoying people in the back country. I skinned up last weekend and saw about five sleds with some young children included turning laps on Bell and the dumps. The old mtn manager had guys up there on sleds chasing people off. There are currently about ten private sleds near the Alps on lower Little Nells. If you have a desire to do it, go up soon before the roads are cut. If they have a problem with you, they will just ask you to leave. Be aware and safe and respectful of the patrol and lift mechanics up there and you should have no trouble

Just one more reason that Aspen KICKS ASS!!!

There are other resorts that turn a blind eye to sleds and there is even a resort that holds a snowmobile rally at the ski area after it closes....

Last weekend I got in 14 laps of great after close ski area snowmoboarding..... If we get another round of good snow I will no doubt be back...

I would not try to snowmobile up resorts in summit county it will no doubt get you into trouble... But then again I would not ski the resorts in summit county either....
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #7

backcountry ski bum
Any mountain manager who knowingly turns a blind eye to activity that is forbidden by their special use permit and operating plan is walking on thin ice. Maybe I'll give the Forest Service a call.....

Some guys got busted at Breckenridge last year with sleds. Their machines got impounded until they paid their fine.
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #8

Salida, Colorado
Troll...why would you want to do that?
Old 04-24-2009   #9

Frisco, Colorado
the idea of getting clothes-lined by a winch cat cable is enough for me.
master of disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #10
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Rdnek and ZG,
I totaly agree and PM'd the info before anybody posted. I did not want to see CRAP posted by people without a clue (refrence above posts).

Call the forest service? What are you a bitch. Ya probably so. But keep you thoughts to yourself and don't make that call. You'd screw up a lot of fun for many people. Since the White River National Forest only allows snomos on trail this year and for the concivable future, this lets people get out and enjoy some great near country without harming anyone. I think you just jelous that you season is over. Get a mobile oir hike and don't make that call. We not hurting you, are we?