Snowmass/Aspen Terrain Suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2009   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Snowmass/Aspen Terrain Suggestions

I'm going to be skiing Aspen on wed. I haven't been in the area in more than 10 years and am looking for some suggestions on terrain. I prefer (who doesn't?) bowl and glade skiing and am looking to try out my new backcountry setup. I'm *not* equipped for full CO backcountry so I'm looking in bounds. I'm going to Aspen to meet a friend so that's why I'm skiing there. Given the weather man's promise of snow, I'm hoping there's a few inches of powder that day. I have and was considering skiing Snowmass and lapping Hanging Valley or the Cirque. I've never hit Highland Bowl and think that may be more ideal for my likes. Any suggestions?

hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009   #2

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The Highlands bowl is pretty sweet and generally is less rocky than the Cirque at Snowmass. It is also a lot longer run with more wind loading, which is good since we do not have too much snow here right now. I think only the north woods are open. The mountains are skiing pretty well considering our snowfall.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #3

Salida, Colorado
I'm told the higher G-zones over to Ozone have been wind loading with nice snow and it's been getting a little more skiied out in the lower G's.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009   #4

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
I dont think the headwall is open and the cirque definitely isn't open. Highland bowl is way steeper than the cirque anyway and skis way better. Sorry i mean dont go to highlands it sucks just a bunch of us surly locals. have fun but careful in the local backcountry not good snow layers stay in the trees but careful of depth.
caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliclimber View Post
I dont think the headwall is open and the cirque definitely isn't open. Highland bowl is way steeper than the cirque anyway and skis way better. Sorry i mean dont go to highlands it sucks just a bunch of us surly locals. have fun but careful in the local backcountry not good snow layers stay in the trees but careful of depth.
Caliclimber, I'll be sure to always avoid the bowl due to the surly locals.. lol. I ended up not going to any Aspen resort as a result of travel plans getting hosed. Thanks for all the advice though. Maybe next year.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highland bowl, snowmass, suggestions