Skis out of control after tune? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2010   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Skis out of control after tune?

Attention ski techs:

I had my skis tuned at a shop. It was free, as a favor from the owner, so I really don't want to take them back. Both pairs (my wife's and mine) can barely turn. They are flopping all around, and feel like we are basically constantly catching an edge.

I figured the tips and tails were too sharp, so I worked on them with a stone. It maybe helped a tiny amount, but not really. Should I put a file to them, or do you think something else is wrong? I can take them back to the shop, but I'd rather not right now.

Suggestions? I usually tune and wax them myself in between full shop tunes with base grinds, so I'm a wannabe self ski tech, still trying to learn.

My wife is a former race coach, and I am a former ski instructor. I like to think that we aren't just skiing retarded, it really is difficult to ski on them, and not fun at all.

Thanks in advance!

WhiteLightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Try de-tuning the tips - where the tips leave the ground if you lay them down without the brake holding them up.

That should help out, most shops skip the de-tuning step which makes your tips grabby and can make you feel out of control.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Cool, so I did that with a stone, should I try a file? Maybe I didn't take enough of the edge off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Cool, so I did that with a stone, should I try a file? Maybe I didn't take enough of the edge off.
Use your file to dull or "de-tune" the tips and tails, then use your stone to "deburr" the edges all the way down. Grinders leave a little burr on the edges that you want to lose.
Old 03-19-2010   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
Cool, thanks for the info, I will give it a shot.
Old 03-19-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
They sound "railed" to me, meaning edge high down the length of the ski. If you don't have a true bar to confirm, it's pretty minor to use a file, and instead of holding it along the width of the ski, hold it outside of the ski as you slide the file down the length. That lets it bow just a tiny bit focusing on just the edges and taking them down. The tiny bit of bow should end up just around your bevel if your lucky. Confirmation with a true bar is what I'd do first, but I've done this field repair before on a ski trip when I didn't have all my tools. It's not uncommon for this to happen with poor base grinds, and virtually all skis are railed to a degree when new.

If you want to tune your skis, get into it as soon as you can. No one ever touches my skis except me. If you aren't dialed into a good source of info, try:

http://tognar.com/

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Definitely use a file, make the tips smooth and not at all sharp. Grinding stones won't de-tune just deburr.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #8

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Dempsey - they sound railed to me also. Flip side is they could have the wrong angles - i.e. 2 side 1 base which would make them hook up more than normal. Third option is that you may in fact, completely suck.
If you use a file - be careful! A little pressure goes a long way. It's easier to go a little at a time than overdo it and screw them up even more.
Which friggin ski shop did you use? Free or not, a bad tune job in the 970 deserves a little flaming. Take 'em to Troy's - finest tune in the Valley. That that comes from a former Snowell fanatic.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #9

Eagle County, Colorado
JT- I probably do suck is the main problem, but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that!

I can't flame the shop, they are a client, so no comment! I've got another ski shop client, so maybe I'll take them there. I've never used Troy's, but I've always been really happy with Buzz's tunes.