Serious Arch Pain - Telemark Skier - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2009   #1

Serious Arch Pain - Telemark Skier

severe arch pain! not sure what is going on with my boots?? this has been an ongoing problem. it started 6 years ago when the shell was way too big. so i got the garmont synergy with the g-fit liner and 2007/08 season was great, reheated last season and did ok till i blew out my knee in january so no skiing until this season. i nearly had to rip my boots off half way down the hill to stop the pain. i am frustrated--from heating, reheating, footbeds, insoles, socks etc.... any suggestions? i really don't want to buy new boots--they are in good shape and such a waste of plastic, energy etc... new liners??

erica smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I had some similar problems, even with orthodics in them. Just too darn high of an arch for me. I made some internal heel-lift shims (under the in-sole), and that solved it. I don't remember what I used, cardboard, a couple of pieces of heavy-duty thin cardboard, not sure. I just cut them to shape of the heel to lift my foot up off the arch a bit. If that throws you too far forward, you might try shims on the front and back. Good luck, my boots become totally comfy after that! Like dancing slippers!
Old 12-16-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Could be a result of your injury last season. Might have to get used to them again. Try just wearing the boots around the house for a decent amount of time and see if you can identify any new pressure points. Also a good way to test shims and other boot adjustments before hitting the hill.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009   #4

Duhrango
I have that issue at time. Very flat foot and a higher arch on the orthotics. It seems to be getting better because the footbeds are cork and kind of wearing down.
Old 12-16-2009   #5

B.F.E., Wyoming
I had this problem last year. (or a similar one) What I did was take a super thin space filler insole under my regular footbed. Takes up some of that space that got packed out. I also agree with the idea of your foot changing with your injury.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #6

i have also had trouble with this. for me it was a problem of trying to use my feet too much and not relying on the structure of the boot enough. i try to do 2 things. relax my feet more when i am skiing, and do foot excersises to strengthen my arches.

when you are relaxing get a pile of marbles/small rocks/big beads and start with a pile on the floor in front of you. one by one pick up the marbles with your toes and move the pile back and forth between your feet. this constant use of your toes will really strengthen your arch muscles and will really help with the pain.

good luck.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
TGR has a thread on arch pain in ski boots, they're not tele skiiers but it can't hurt to look at their ideas:

Arch Pain - Boot Remedy? - Teton Gravity Research Forums
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
TGR has a thread on arch pain in ski boots, they're not tele skiiers but it can't hurt to look at their ideas:

Arch Pain - Boot Remedy? - Teton Gravity Research Forums

thank you--super helpful!
Old 12-17-2009   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It sounds like your boots are too big for your foot, therefor you are tightening down the buckles to compensate for to big of a boot and that is then compressing your foot too much causing the pain.

I would second the wearing your boots around the house a bit, I have the most comfortable boots ever but they still hurt a bit the first day out as my feet are used to flip flops.

You then should try a shim the some others suggested that will take up some of the room.

If you are using a custom foot bed and feel that it is giving you too much, try a superfeet trim to fit. I gave up my cork customs for these a few years ago and my feet are super happy. The arch is less drastic and you are getting more support out of the heel cup of that footbed which in turn keeps your foot in alignment.

If these tricks don't work a good boot fitter is worth the money.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #10

super helpful and i just ordered a pair--thank you thank you!

Tags
ark