Seeking thoughts/reviews on splitboards - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 09-15-2009   #1

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
Seeking thoughts/reviews on splitboards

I always venture out the board on the back. I tried a splitboard many years back intrigued by the skinning speed. It rode like shit! So i went back to old faithful snowshoes. I once again am starting to look at the boards. They look good/decent. They feel real flexy and im not sure about the base connection? But I am going on hut trips this year with friends who are great backcountry skiers and If im skinning out I'll at least keep up. I however will not trade speed skinning for performance. When i summit i want to ride the best lines conditions allowable. At the top I dont want to think about my board. There is too much else to deal with. Anyone got some good input? I could use some thoughts/reviews. Thanks Shawn

caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009   #2

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I don't ride, but I do go out in the back country with people who do. No one I know snowshoes out there. They are way to slow and take too much energy. Skinning with a split is very efficient, but the change overs from skinning to riding and vice versa are noticably slower. It is important to have that routine down if there are multiple laps to be had.

For skiers as well as boarders, there usually is some performance loss with BC gear. Even the stoutest AT boots are not as ski oriented as my alpine race boots. That is just the price to be paid for good backcountry travel. You spend 90% of your time going up, so do it efficiently. I have no doubt you will loose some board performance going to a split, but it will beat post holing or snowshoeing. I have one friend who Macgyvered some small skis with skins permanently attached for the climb and carried his powder board on his back. On the ride down the 120cm skis were on his pack. It is a little heavier that a split but more efficient than snow shoes
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a splitboard for sale. I could send you some pics if interested.
ManuelHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009   #4

basalt, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelHung View Post
I have a splitboard for sale. I could send you some pics if interested.
ya send some ill check it out.
Old 09-16-2009   #5
kh

Splitboards and splitbindings have made some big leaps in the past years. Check out splitboard.com, its a friendly message board and has all the info you seek.
kh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
"Splitboarding is the answer" or so the sticker goes. Check out Venture (Silveton locals), great owners, great employees and great boards. Every model is split this year. Pair their rides with some Spark R&D bindings and you can ride anything. I even use mine at the resort (when we rarely go) because it works so well. Don't slowshoe it is a waste of energy and time. Cheers.
dkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #7

basalt, Colorado
Thanks for the info my buddy rides for venture i'll give him a buzz and check out some models.
Old 09-18-2009   #8

Dillon, Colorado
There are a lot of good split boards out there today. I am riding a Voille that is now 4 or 5 years old and I am compromising nothing. The hike up is 10 times easier and quicker than snowshoes and your'e not carrying your gear. It does take a little practice in switching between split mode and riding mode, especially after a long hike that freezes all of the attachment hardwear. I carry a small rock hammer in my pack that has solved this dilemna.

Split boards are a little more flexible but I have never had any problems, especially in powder. While I prefer to ride in powder, I have skinned and ridden Abasin a few times as well ridden it at a few other resorts and it handled the groomers and bumps almost as well my regular board. My board is old by todays standards and they have only gotten better. Not to mention 5 years ago there were about 3 different models to choose from while today there are at least 10 to 15.
kp_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #9
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
The answer indeed. Like you's all said, lots of good options out there nowadays but let me recommend a Voile "the whites" Mojo 181...specifically the one I am selling. It's in brand new condition too. And definitely slap some Spark bindings on there. Will is a good dude and developed a dope split-specific binder with lots of good r&d feedback from the splitboard.com crowd.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You could just come by and check it out if you like.
ManuelHung is offline   Reply With Quote