Second Creek to Henderson Mine? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-12-2011   #1

Second Creek to Henderson Mine?

Anyone have any experience on doing the the Second Creek to Henderson Mine trip? Seems safe and a good distance, about 8 miles. A few trees to navigate, but not too bad. Should be a good one day trip.

Thanks.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Why?

There are 7 easily accessible cirques if you make it to the ridge...Why ski the low drainage on the back side? Are you looking to struggle on a CC tour, I wouldn't pick that route too much effort for a few good turns...On the flip side you shouldn't see anybody or any tracks...The views would be awesome, Take some pics if you see any sick northern exposure lines or chutes...There might be some features worth the tour I don't know anybody who has gone there in the winter...
Old 03-13-2011   #3

I've been in the area and in a few of the drainages but never strung that tour together. Looks like it would be a nice way to spend a day even if you don't get much in the way of sick and gnarl turns. Sometimes just being in the high alpine traveling under your own power is it's own reward. I wouldn't do it in bad weather and you need to have good avy eyes and mind. Beautiful country up there.

Probably the worst part would be coming down the whooped and chewed up snowmo trail on the west fork of clear creek. Last time I skied up Butler Gulch that was a mess.
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011   #4

Here's another possible day trip route. This route goes along the ridge above Berthoud Pass, which should have spectacular views. And you avoid the snowmobiles near Jones Pass.

I'm worried the last drop back to the road is a bit steep.

Do all you guys just want to get sweet tracks on powder? What ever happened to just touring in nice remote places? Just be out in nature without the adrenalin rush?

Here's the satelite view:
Old 03-15-2011   #5

Stay away from the edge on the new route. Massive cornices ready to break. Some people descend the Stanley slide path. And speaking for myself, it is all about sweet powder tracks. So many incredible lines to choose.
Old 03-16-2011   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Do all you guys just want to get sweet tracks on powder? What ever happened to just touring in nice remote places? Just be out in nature without the adrenalin rush?
Nothing wrong with nice turns and absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a nice tour for it's own sake. Personally I'd stay away from the highway just to be away from the noise and sight of the highway although it can be kind of cool to be up high above all that and look down where you can get a good look at how the whole thing works.

As mentioned though, there is big avalanche terrain in that part of the world and it demands respect. (Not to mention, knocking something down on the highway would not be looked upon favorably by CDOT) Go for it, be safe and enjoy!
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The second route you show is down Stanely slide path. It's a massive slide path and should be treated with respect. However, the skiing is really easy and kind of fun. The top half is open meadowish:

The lower part is a gulley and an obvious terrain trap. You want this one to be bomber, it covers the road twice when it goes big. If you use this option you don't need a shuttle. I took some scenics when I went, but I don't want to ruin it for you. Find a bluebird day and enjoy the 2 1/2 hour ridge top hike.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #8

Wow, nice picture.

The route I drew avoids the Stanely slide chute. It's next to Stanely Mountain and in full trees. I know trees doesn't mean safety, but it does mean it doesn't slide regularly. It also means the sun doesn't bake it. So, it should be safer in the spring than the slide chute if the angle is 30-35 degrees.
Old 03-16-2011   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Sorry got lazy once I saw Stanley on the map. I can't speak to the west side, but the east side of Stanley in the trees is supposed to be pretty tight and requires bushwhacking. The trees immediately surrounding the slide path were not inviting either.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #10
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
~CLICK HERE FOR ZERO CREEK VIDEO~