Request for good places to hike close to Pueblo - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 02-02-2014   #1

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Request for good places to hike close to Pueblo

There is a nice spot just further up the pass from Monarch Mtn Resort.

I am close to vail this weekend. So I went hiking and boarding down up at Vail pass. The snow was great. Nearly all the snowmobiles up there had snowboard racks on the tunnel. If I had more money, I would love to get a sled.

I would love a spot like Vail pass next to Pueblo.

I fell in love hiking is Albuquerque. In 40 min I could be on Sandia Peak hiking. I would love to find some spots close to Pueblo. (I started a new job in July). During the summer we have a whitewater play park right in town and the royal gorge 40 min away. I just need snow I can hike to.

I have some time off next week, so I will drive down to the old Cuchara Resort.

I got a fat bike, so a snowmobile trail to access, would be added adventure.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steg.

Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
There is a nice spot just further up the pass from Monarch Mtn Resort.

I am close to vail this weekend. So I went hiking and boarding down up at Vail pass. The snow was great. Nearly all the snowmobiles up there had snowboard racks on the tunnel. If I had more money, I would love to get a sled.

I would love a spot like Vail pass next to Pueblo.

I fell in love hiking is Albuquerque. In 40 min I could be on Sandia Peak hiking. I would love to find some spots close to Pueblo. (I started a new job in July). During the summer we have a whitewater play park right in town and the royal gorge 40 min away. I just need snow I can hike to.

I have some time off next week, so I will drive down to the old Cuchara Resort.

I got a fat bike, so a snowmobile trail to access, would be added adventure.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steg.
If you haven't already consider taking an Avalanche I course. The lurking danger is hard to assess and be safe without training and experience
Old 02-11-2014   #3

Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The old Conquistador resort is an hour from Florence by way of Oak Creek Grade. A hike up Hermit pass road and a half mile bush wack north to base area takes about an hour. I did it twice this year snow conditions must be good after the snows. We only had one way down. The old base area is private land now with lots of "No access to forest service land" hence the bush wack.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote