Plea for reason in skin track setting - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-17-2010   #1

Teacher
Plea for reason in skin track setting

How many times have you struggled up an icy skin track that you personally set the week before? I have of late.

So now that we are weeks into the drought I have to say as a community, Carbondale area at least, we suck at making skin tracks. Me included. I will make the caveat that my skins are a bit thread bare and new ones are on order but I the icy highways heading up marble, williams, etc are forcing me and others to make new tracks, which track up the little bit of powder we have left.

Though when braking trail pushing hard feels good it is not as efficient as kicking it back a notch. This also allows you to follow the next day or ,if the "nice" weather continues to hold, the following week.

I am going to think before I track. Less burn more turns.

Peter

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Yo Pete,

When it gets icy and my skins slip, it is time for a cramp-on. Or I just boot pack up the same trail I would skin on. If it's bullet proof no one should care. Also When we get to the bowls we do the same thing, hike up. Super fast and less exhausting than the skin up. just thoughts.........
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #3

Teacher
good point.
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010   #4

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
I couldn't believe how difficult the skin up marble was yesterday. I did what bob stated and took the boards off and it was much easier.
caliclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
If the surface starts looking like this it's time for me to take the boards off. Ice rink...

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #6

basalt, Colorado
Where was this picture taken? I got an idea but might be wrong
Old 01-17-2010   #7
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Wayyy down south in Argentina. Some crazy wind down thar.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #8

basalt, Colorado
I was way off
Old 01-18-2010   #9

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
People usually try to set skin trails too steep. I don't know what it is but it must be some sort of way to show what a stud you are - "Hey look at what a steep skin track I can set". If a trail is so steep that you struggle to keep traction you're wasting energy. Under most conditions I can climb with a fair degree of comfort about a 22-23 degree slope, but I think something less steep is more efficient. Personally, I like to set my tracks at a pitch you barely need heel lifts (10-15 deg) with a minimum of switchbacks if possible. Of course, terrain, trees, avalanche considerations often dictates less than ideal route finding, but at least that's the general idea.
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #10

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Awesome. No compassion for what the poor sweaty slob was feeling as he's breaking trail for you. Just make it better next time...will ya? Awesome.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote