Lines in Vail - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2006   #1

Lines in Vail

Well I think I decided to go the 2 days to Vail, and one night skiing to keystone, this would be in the first week of january, my questions are what are the lines that I should expect, how long of a wait between runs? and are there any options or any advice to avoid this lines, I heard that copper had a ticket that is like a fast pass I was wondering if maybe Vail had something like this.

fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006   #2

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Its colorado. If your coming here then you better learn to love lines.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #3

Lines at resorts are relative. The busiest day at any of the I-70 corridor resorts is still nothing in comparson to Boyne Mtn. Michigan or Blue Mtn. Ontario or any of the sub 1000' vert midwest resorts I learned to ski at.

Just the same I'd hit up Snowmass or CB or one of the destination resorts if I was coming out to Colorado and avoid Summit and Eagle County.
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditto...go anywhere but summit. Roaring fork resorts, Steamboat, Tride. Better yet, go to one of the resorts up the cottonwood canyons in Utah. Lines are long, sure, but your chances of fresh powder are so much better.

If I came all the way from wherever to go to Keystone? I'd be pissed.
Old 09-05-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
I can ski Vail on weekends and never get stuck in terrible lines. Just get out of vail village early. Then you have the mountain to yourself for a few hours while everyone is stuck in the lines at the bottom. If you don't get out of the base early you're kind of screwed. Keep working your way back to blue sky as the crowds chase you. Don't drop into the back bowls after 10:00 on a powder day or you'll be stuck there for a few hours - it's a slow speed triple. Just keep hitting the quads in Blue Sky and China bowl. Even if the Blue-sky chair gets a bit crowded it will empty out again since there isn't a restaurant back there and everyone heads back to the frontside around 1:00 to 2:00 (bring brats to grill out on the grills provided at the top of Blue Sky and enjoy the killer view). The Northwoods chair is one of the best chairs at Vail but also has some of the worst crowds. A snowbeater friend of mine says the Pride chair is the place to go for no crowds and nice boarding through the trees.

Don't listen to BSOE. Night skiing at Keystone is a blast. The runs are empty and they groom several of the runs again starting at 5:00. Get out your 215's and tuck top to bottom runs only turning when the trail turns. If you didn't scare yourself shitless and your thighs aren't burning by the time you reach the bottom you weren't trying. Take a GPS with a max speed function along for max fun.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #6

I know, i am not listenning to BSOE, I love night snowboarding its a little colder but is so much fun, its kind of wierd since in the east coast a lot of resorts are usually open till 10 or 11 pm thats what I am used to, so its going to be a little different to get up really early to snowboard early. Oh by the way BSOE I am traveling from ft.lauderdale yes very far away, and I am looking foward for this trip, I could care less what your opinion is, I asked for advice in this resorts not in criticisim. blutzski thanks for your advice i will try to keep that in mind.
Old 09-05-2006   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski
I can ski Vail on weekends and never get stuck in terrible lines. Just get out of vail village early. Then you have the mountain to yourself for a few hours while everyone is stuck in the lines at the bottom. If you don't get out of the base early you're kind of screwed. Keep working your way back to blue sky as the crowds chase you. Don't drop into the back bowls after 10:00 on a powder day or you'll be stuck there for a few hours - it's a slow speed triple. Just keep hitting the quads in Blue Sky and China bowl. Even if the Blue-sky chair gets a bit crowded it will empty out again since there isn't a restaurant back there and everyone heads back to the frontside around 1:00 to 2:00 (bring brats to grill out on the grills provided at the top of Blue Sky and enjoy the killer view). The Northwoods chair is one of the best chairs at Vail but also has some of the worst crowds. A snowbeater friend of mine says the Pride chair is the place to go for no crowds and nice boarding through the trees.

Don't listen to BSOE. Night skiing at Keystone is a blast. The runs are empty and they groom several of the runs again starting at 5:00. Get out your 215's and tuck top to bottom runs only turning when the trail turns. If you didn't scare yourself shitless and your thighs aren't burning by the time you reach the bottom you weren't trying. Take a GPS with a max speed function along for max fun.
one thing though I am staying in a hotel in frisco, its 30 minutes to vail driving, how early should I get to the village to be ontime. I dont know I was thinking to get there around 7 or 730 the lifts open at 8 suposly.
Old 09-05-2006   #8

Golden, Colorado
Try to get to the lift when it opens. I think it opens at 8:30 but check to be sure. If it's not a powder day it's not as important. If it's a weekday, don't worry about it at all. On a power day I'll usually leave Frisco at 7:00 to drive, park and walk to the lifts.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #9
sj

Dude sometimes I wonder if i am on the same Planet as these guys let alone same state. You're staying in Frisco the first week of January. Heres what to expect. It is one of the slowest times of the ski season. You don't say what time of the week. But if it's mid week you won't see a line anywere. Kids are back in school and front rangers are at work. If its a weekend still not to bad. Get out early or 11ish. The snow will be a bit skied off. Get a compass and a map and figure out north facing. That will give you more info than any you'll get here on snow conditions. By comparision both vail and keystone are easier mountains nothing an athletic Intermediate should shy away from. My kids are out of school that week and we ski the area every year in fact I look forward to Jan 2nd every year. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I re-read what I wrote and it sounds a lot like advice to me. I was just trying to help you maximize the fun you get for your travel dollars. Vail has great terrain if you get away from the village but most of Colorado has a much thinner snowpack than the Wasach and much less total snowfall (we won't even talk powder quality). So chances are much better that you'd be skiing in fresh snow in Utah. And Keystone at night? If you want to fly a thousand miles to hit the groomers, have at it. A thousand apologies for trying to help you out. I'm a bad man.