intuition liner help - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-13-2010   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
intuition liner help

last season i bought telle gear, well i put some used targas on some old twin tips and bought a pair of new t2's....they were the most comfortable pair of boots ive ever had untill i got to the hill...they killed my feet on the hill so last season i would change over to alpine or snowboard by noon...ive been determined to get these boots to work and tonight while wearing them around the house(girlfriend loves this)in an attempt to brake them in i came on a realization...these things rock barefoot but kill with any type of sock on...it seams to me that these liners "stick" to your socks abit and really cram your toes....now i cant ski like this cause the boots will really stink and i will be walking home due to the girl kicking me and my stinky boots out of the car...ive tried all sorts of socks any advise...ive considered pantyhose even but dont think theyre going to help with the oder issue....any advise or should i look into a different liner???any help or funny comments will be appreciated

NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
get them thermomolded to your feet. It makes a HUGE difference. Prior to molding, those liners are shaped, well, not like feet. It's a pretty straightforward process that can be done at home, but shouldn't cost much at a good shop.

As for the stink- make sure they get dried out every time you use them. Pull the liners out, make sure air flow gets inside them. Consider buying of building yourself a boot dryer. Letting boots, or anything really, sit wet, even overnight, will make 'em stink.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #3
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Agreed, I haven't had any issues with mine after several seasons of touring and skiing. I got my thermomolded, and use a super thin wool sock. No issues to speak of like what you are experiencing. I did one time forget to bring socks with me and toured all day with nothing, and definitely had a few bad hot spots. IMO, the insides of the liners aren't smooth enough for just feet.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get them thermo-molded for sure...makes a big difference. Outpost Sunsports can fit them...maybe the Mountain Shop too.

ClimbingDenali--do you have any suggestions on building your own boot dryer?
Old 11-14-2010   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Boot Dryer

Get your hands on a small blower motor, something like this one: Dayton 2C646 Blower 176 CFM 12 VDC. Attach a length of pvc pipe to the blower outlet. Say, 3' long for two pairs of boots, longer for more. Cap the end opposite the blower. Drill holes in the pipe spaced for boots and attach some vinyl tubing, 16" long, or so, to hang into each boot. You'll have to figure a way to hang it up, or balance it on the boots, or something.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
i have thermo molded these boots about 3 times now...the mountain shop in foco has done this for me free of charge(i bought the boot from them)ive had three different people do it too...i swear that they are not holding there shape....i keep them in doors and not on top of the heating vents or anything so i dont understand why they loose there shape....maybe i need to try wearing 4 pairs of socks and mold them again...has anybody ever tried thermo molding on there own???can i set the oven to low or use a hair dryer??? im at the point where im willing to try anything....and wow i expected some stinky feet jokes or something...
Old 11-15-2010   #7

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Try Garmont boots. Seriously, the scarpa boots fit different. Rent some garmonts or bd's from somewhere and give it a try.
Old 11-16-2010   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
ill try it....anybody want last years t2's they might be for sale...but im not willing to give up yet....these were the best fitting boots ive ever tried(when i bought them)....come to think of it i had a pair of thermo fit langs years about 6 years ago and they ended up terrible on my feet when on the hill....maybe i ned to stay away from thermo fit...is there a telle boot that isnt thermofit cause from my understanding garmont is a molded liner too...my favorite alpine boot is brand name packed out....maybe i should have bought used
Old 11-16-2010   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
ok i just put them into the oven on warm, put 4 pairs of ankle socks on and 2 pairs of boot socks....spent about 25 painfull minutes walking up and down stairs forward and backwards... they feel good on my feet now with one pairs on....i hope they will feel great on the hill....im still not gonna give up....where is the stinky feet comments???maybe now that i gained that room with my toes i will lift my heel abit to gain more(ive always looked for toe room in a boot).
Old 11-16-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Since no one else asked it, are you sure the boots actually fit your feet? Usually if they are as comfy as you say in the shop, before molding, they are they wrong size. With the liner out of the boot you should have 1-2 fingers worth of space behind your heel into the pocket on the heel of the shell when your toes are just touching the front of the boot (I actually use a mini mag light to test this in my shop as I have bigger hands and the small end of the light is a 1 finger fit, the big end a 1.5 finger fit). Did the Mountain Shop use a toe cap when they molded them, also how long did the molding process take in shop? Some shops have neoprene or rubberized cups to fit over just the toes (under your socks) during the mold process (some just cut the toes off a thick sock) to create a little pocket for the toes and seat the heel back into the boot a little more, and for timing it usually takes 15-20 minutes to heat the foams up to mold, and at least that long for them to cool back into a set shape. My initial thought with your description was that the boots were too big and you're getting some toe bang cause your foot is moving in the boot. Hope you get it figured out.
Tele-axel is offline   Reply With Quote