Intrawest sells off Copper Mountain! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-17-2009   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Intrawest sells off Copper Mountain!

The owner of Whistler Blackcomb, co-host of the 2010 Winter Olympics, has sold one of its Colorado ski resorts as the company grapples with a heavy debt load.
Intrawest ULC, which owns Whistler and nine other winter resorts in North America, said Tuesday it has sold Copper Mountain to Powdr Corp., based in Park City, Utah, and one of the larger ski resort operators in the United States. The price was not disclosed.

Intrawest sells Colorado ski resort - The Globe and Mail

I wonder what Powdr Corp. will be like? I assume they are just another big Corporation and will run Copper as such. I had hoped Tony Nevelly would buy Copper back and bring back the old ski resort for skiers ethics. Meaning longer seasons and great spring skiing until May. I had assume spring days in late April back in the 90's.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I worked at Copper during the Nevelly era and I can’t say I’d want it to back go there.

A lot of money was wasted on stupid stuff. The snowcats and computers were older then dirt. There’d be a wage freeze. Meanwhile, Tony would blow $50k on Michael Martin Murphy singing Wildfire and a 45 minute firework show. Lame.

The place was trashed with rusty buildings and crappy sculptures.

Intrawest did a ton of great improvements – fixing the lifts so you ski down to them instead of climbing up, Woodword, bringing in bands you’d want to see, Tucker snowcat.

I was sorry to see the old vibe go away – B-Lift Pub, parking at the base, et al.. -.but that’s gone forever no matter who bought the place.

I hope they thrive under the new owner.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009   #3

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
anyone know what other resorts powdr corp owns?
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
POWDR Corp - Our Properties
i had some pretty good times at Killington growing up as a kid. The place is pretty spread out, but has a chill vibe considering it's the only "mega resort" in the east. It's no mad river glen though.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Hi teletoes,

I am not going to defend Tony's management or purse strings. I did have a better experience working there but I was under the direction of Skip Otto and I can not complain. B and B1 were, with out a doubt, 3x as long of a ride compared to the Super B. But there is something to be said for being able to do laps on Storm King and Upper Enchanted with out dealing with 1 hour lift lines on a powder or hardpack day.

I know those days are gone with Buck a bone and the Basin lot, I just wish they would go back to a longer season. Spring skiing into May was always great as long as you stayed up high. Remember how the first set of layoffs were around the third week of April. The second set were two weeks later in May. And then the mountain would finally close a week after that. Now closing day is Easter.

Oh well, those of us that have been around for a while can lament how the skiing has changed, but it will not change a thing. Here is to hoping Powdr Corp. will find some happy medium.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Is this going to kill off the Copper/WP pass for next year?
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Is this going to kill off the Copper/WP pass for next year?
I would think that it is a likly possibility, since they were both owned by Intrawest. But then again the mountains included in the 5 mtn. pass are not all owned by the same person(s), so it will be interesting to see what happens.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
I bet they maintain a partnership for pass marketing purposes so they can at least try to compete against Vail.

Does Intrawest actually own WP now or are they still just managing it?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #9

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpowhound View Post
I bet they maintain a partnership for pass marketing purposes so they can at least try to compete against Vail.

Does Intrawest actually own WP now or are they still just managing it?
Yeah I think they would have to do that to try and compete. I think it would have devastataing consquences if they are not able to work it out. Intrawest owns WP now. They have done a bunch of "improvments since buying it.

I heard Intraswest was getting rid of Copper to try and take a stab at buying Aspen Ski Compnay? Anybody else heard this?
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #10

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I love going to Copper on my Steamboat pass, but I have to pay twice the price of the WP/Copper combo... wtf!!! Hopefully they can still make some sort of a deal?...
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote