Interesting Trend: Elder Avalanche victims - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 02-08-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Interesting Trend: Elder Avalanche victims

In the last couple months I've seen a trend in those getting caught in the backcountry near by. The victims of recent avalanches have all been guys in the forties. When you think of back country, is this the demographic you see getting caught up and hurt or killed? For me, I see younger males, but that hasn't been the case in the last three. I fit the demographic in question. Maybe it is that we can finally afford the back country gear we always wanted. Maybe it's that we are arrogant enough to avoid precautions hammered in the training having been their enough times that complacency has set in. While a sample size of three is too small, it still is interesting.

Anyway, reading an article on the most recent victim with multiple coumpound fractures made me ponder this. Be careful out there.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
complacency has set in.
Area familiarity IMHO is the number one offender w/ most avalanche victims. maybe these guys have been to these places hundreds of times and got over confident in something. Maybe they're like bush pilots and if they fly for enough hours something eventually happens???
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
20 years ago, it was guys (mostly climbers) in their 20's who were getting the chop. Same group. BTW, referring to guys in their 40's as elder? I got two words for you. The first one rhymes with "truck", the second with "chew". I'm 57 and I can kick your ass any day of the week.
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
just kidding
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #5
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Maybe they're like bush pilots and if they fly for enough hours something eventually happens???
That would be my thought. Seems that's the greater portion of the population age that I see in the backcountry. Makes sense.
Old 02-12-2010   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I agree with pork chop.

I have had the though process of that face hasn't gone in eight years, I'll risk it this morning. Stupid cutting of corners.
Old 02-12-2010   #7

I thought maybe snowmobiles had something to do with it. Older bodies accessing avalanche terrain on more powerful machines... but then I revisited the accident page and realized it's not just the sledders... so bad assumption on my part.

Are there stats somewhere that show fatalities by age group? Is this year different from previous years?

I would think the typical victim would be a younger (20's) male, based on the age of invincibility. However the numbers this year certainly don't support it.

So is it what Canada said? Are they now able to afford the bc toys? If they are now just getting into the bc, are they not getting the proper education or just making poor choices?
kellip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avalanche