I need to learn to snowboard - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2009   #1

I need to learn to snowboard

I need to learn to snowboard and I suppose I should take some snowboarding lessons. Ive gotten into tree skiing as I find it challenging but I want more of a challenge, like snowboarding. The trouble is, evertime I strap on a board i dont get far before I fall over. I lose it. OK, maybe Ive got lousy balance and I need to improve that. BUT I dont want to spend all my lesson time learning how to maintain my balance. Also, i am over 50 yrs old and my body cant afford the spills and injuries like I could 10, 20 and 30 yrs ago. I want to get this snowboarding right and learn this as painless as possible. What can I do to learn some balance and boarding techniques over the next month or so, before the snow flies. Does anyone know of any balance training, weight training or whatever that will get me started?
Many Thanks.

grungeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009   #2

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Where are you located? Check your local rec center. In the mountains most of them offer ski conditioning classes that provide what you are asking for. Otherwise start with squats and lunges and get a skateboard.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #3

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Balance board and Rip sticks.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009   #4
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seriously, where u at? I will offer two hours of pro instruction in the Aspen area for a case of PBR...
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
snowboarding has a reverse learning curve. it starts out hard and gets easier. you will learn to fall like a leaf toes or heels, which ever is easier for you. Then you will learn to commit to turning, heel to toe or toe to heel over your shoulder, now you are carving turns. The key to snowboarding is to be as lazy and relaxed as possible. Let me tell you, from someone who can do both at an expert freeride level. You should stick to skiing. Snowboarding will become so easy and relaxing to you, you will miss skiing as much as I did. Now I am back on me sticks. arggg.......

just sayin'
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i've gotta ask why. if you're a good skier why put yourself through the physical and mental damage of learning how to board? challenge yourself on skis.
Old 11-06-2009   #7

Where are you located?

Aw, geez. You would have to ask that. I am located in Wisconsin where anything that rises 200 feet is considered a mountain. My kids sold their skate boards some years ago. theyre going to think that ol' Pop's flipped his lid when they see me rolling down the driveway on those tiny wheels. Thanks for all the excellent tips.

Actually i find skiing in the midwest mostly boring. Thats why I tree ski. Tight corners in deep powder, I love it, and its an excellent workout. But even that gets a little old after a while. Snowboarding is my next challenge.
Old 11-06-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grungeboater View Post
Where are you located?

Aw, geez. You would have to ask that. I am located in Wisconsin where anything that rises 200 feet is considered a mountain. My kids sold their skate boards some years ago. theyre going to think that ol' Pop's flipped his lid when they see me rolling down the driveway on those tiny wheels. Thanks for all the excellent tips.

Actually i find skiing in the midwest mostly boring. Thats why I tree ski. Tight corners in deep powder, I love it, and its an excellent workout. But even that gets a little old after a while. Snowboarding is my next challenge.
I have a couple of friends in Wisconsin, and you should take after them and make your next challenge getting to the real mountains (they come out twice a year and are hooked). I guess Cascade and the upper pennisula just aren't doing it anymore.

PS- if you are bored with skiing try telemarking, a whole new challenge without completely changing skill sets
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #9

Otherwise start with squats and lunges and get a skateboard

OK, so I went to the local cheapmart and got a $20 skate board. Obviusly not much in quality but for my purpose here it is plenty. On the way home this little thought creeps into my mind, "what comments and puzzled looks will I have to put up with from Dear Wife"? afterall...how many people get into skateboarding at age of 50.....
So into the house I walk with some temptation to be secretive about this new purchase and then I am greeted by my three yr old son with an unusual sound of joy in his voice. Obviously he thinks the board is his. That suits me just fine. The board is his. Everyone is happy.
Son and I spent some time in the driveway today playing with the board. We have a nice 5% slope on our 120 ft driveway and thats a nice gentle way of easing into this new skill. You guys are right Yah gotta relax then the balance seems to follow. I gained some confidence, a nice bruise on the hip joint and we had fun. Thanks Much.

Pete
Old 11-15-2009   #10

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Nice work Pete! Happy to help out a fellow cheesehead. I grew up in WI and learned to ski at Alpine Valley. First snowboard experience was at Devils Head and I hated it. Gave up 2 planking about 10 years ago and shooting for 100 days on the board this year. Go Packers!
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote