How to carry Snowshoes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2010   #1

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
How to carry Snowshoes?

I just bought my girlfriend some snowshoes so can she join me on some short tours (I ski, she snowboards). For others who do this, what do you put on/over the snowshoe crampons to protect the backpack (and her back if she takes a nasty spill) from getting ripped to shreds? I was trying to be creative but nothings coming to mind (as usual). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Happy riding everyone, we're hitting Taos for Valentine's Day!

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
i rigged up some straps that attach to the gear loops on my backpack. they carry my board while snowshoeing and then my shoes while i am riding. i nest the shoes together and the bottoms face away from my pack. are you trying to put them inside the pack? i got fastex buckles and some flat webbing from the hardware store, i think. otherwise, an outdoor shop should be able to get you what you need to make some straps for cheap.
Old 02-13-2010   #3

Rifle, Colorado
are you trying to put them inside the pack?

No, i'm trying to attach them outside the back - like you would carry a snowboard. If i strap them with bottoms facing away from the pack, it seems the the toe of the shoes be banging into her because the upward bend would be facing her back instead of away from it. Granted, I have not even tried this so I definitely could be wrong. Is it that easy or does the toe become the problem when the crampons are facing away from the pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
That's cool you are trying to get your lady into the backcountry. Make sure you stay safe and have beacons, shovels and probes for the both of you.

Maybe I don't understand your question, but what I always did was face the snowshoes into each other. That way the crampons aren't exposed.

And the best advice is if you want her to like this is carry her board when you climb and you ride down with the snowshoe. You want to make it as easy as possible for her. I have gotten a couple of past girlfriends and the wife into slackcountry/backcountry, and if they don't have to worry about hitting their boards on trees while hiking up, etc, it makes it a lot more fun for them.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
be patient with her, snow shoes are much slower and use more energy than a ski/skin combo.

another option would be to hang them up side down toes twards the bottom and cramp on out. less likely to hit her in the head. another option listed above was for YOU to carry them. great idea, seriously. as for protection you could rig something to go over the cramp. use a wide strong rubber band as a retainer any you could use cardboard, or something to that effect. ill keep the wheels spinning.....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
my snowshoes only have a toe crampon. i nest one of those in the binding of the other. the curvature at the toe has never been a problem for me. i guess it would depend on the size of pack she uses though. i like the idea of putting them upside down, but never had an issue with them toe side up. you definately want to carry as much of her shit as you can!
Old 02-13-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hi:

My son and I go backcountry but he is light the skins do not work well for him so he snowshoes up and skis down.

I place the snowshoe bottom to bottom then use a pice of webbing with a fastex buckle to hold them together.

I then place the snowshoes on the outside of my Dakine pack and attach them like a veritcal snowboard.

I carry the snowshoes down so my son does have to deal with the extra weight. I suggest you do the same for your lady.

Good luck

Scott
love2ski2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So, I think attaching the snowshoes to the pack has been covered, but I'm going to have to call bullscit on the "carry her gear" idea. I'm guessing she's not helpless, or you wouldn't be taking her into the backcountry. What if she wants to do it without you sometime? Help her with logistics or give her suggestions. Empower her.
Old 02-13-2010   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Just teach her how to ski and you'll both be happier!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #10

Rifle, Colorado
Hahaha, thanks for all the relationship advice everyone! She's more than capable of carrying her own stuff but i'd be more than happy to carry for her if she was having a hard time. Thanks for suggestions, looks like strapping them upside might work best, thanks bob