Help choosing the right ski - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2013   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Help choosing the right ski

I need help choosing the right ski or at least the right type of ski. So I am 6'4" 210 lbs, and have been progressing fairly well. I have 9 days on the mountain, and have been running blues pretty well since the 4 or 5 day, on the eighth day I skied a black, but it was on the easier end of the spectrum. I want something that I can grow into, but will not take me a year to grow into. I don't want something that I will grow out of in three weeks. My goal is to be running blacks, and/or double blacks by the end of the season. The right ski is going to go a long way. I don't mind buying two different types of skis if need be. I want what I get to excel on what I am skiing. I want something that will can off the lift with down the groomers, and go off piste into the trees and it perform fairly well. I skied some solomon czars, and hated how chattery they were. If I need to later, buy powder skis I will get them, but looking for something I can hone my skills with. Price range is around $500.00 Thanks for your help in advanced.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
So, your best bet it to see if there are any demo days coming around. Last year they did one at Winter Park and I skied probably 10 different boards.

An all mountain ski with 80 to 90mm underfoot will be a good choice for what you describe. All the major manufacturers make them and I've been impressed with K2's ability to produce a solid all-mountain ski. I skied the Apache Stryker (similar to their Photon or Force line today) on Whistler under ideal conditions (powder every day, soft groomers) and they lived up to their all mountain status for me.
Old 02-06-2013   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I personally think a do everything ski should be 100 mm minimum under waist. But that is my preference. i have 2 skis K2 sidestash and BD jsutice both 108-112 mm at waist, and they can carve a grommer great (rockered tip with camber underfoot). 80mm under foot is now considered a slalom race ski (not really, but might as well be!)
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
I personally think a do everything ski should be 100 mm minimum under waist. But that is my preference. i have 2 skis K2 sidestash and BD jsutice both 108-112 mm at waist, and they can carve a grommer great (rockered tip with camber underfoot). 80mm under foot is now considered a slalom race ski (not really, but might as well be!)
And with his weight, 90 to 100 is probably not a bad size anyhow. I'm only 175 so 90 under foot for an all mountain ski is a good compromise for me. The trouble with the powder boards is they tend to be a bit whippy and chattery for the beginners as he mentioned. Binding placement will have that effect as well given that people are mounting powder boards for, well, powder and as such requires a cleaner form when turning on groomers. I use BD Verdicts for my AT setup and 102 underfoot (for me) is awesome for touring/charging and I have no issues with them at the resort.
Old 02-06-2013   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
The trouble with the powder boards is they tend to be a bit whippy and chattery for the beginners as he mentioned. Binding placement will have that effect as well given that people are mounting powder boards for, well, powder and as such requires a cleaner form when turning on groomers.
I have to say, this is probably true of most powder skis but I got a pair of Gypsys this winter and even with the crappy snowpack they are the most fun pair of ski's I own. Even on the groomers they rail, I watch my friends eat it on ice and wonder why until I hear the sound change under my ski's but I never feel a slip. The whole "we matched the sidecut to the rocker" is not a gimmick, you have a full 180cm on the ice when the ski is even slightly on it's side. Also, center mount is WAY more fun than I ever imagined.

The only part that really sucks on powder ski's, IMO, are moguls, full rocker doesn't allow the tails of the ski's to release on the moguls so you have to jump and force them around for the next turn.

I gained a lot of confidence this winter on my powder ski's and while skiing them on groomers no less.

I'd say don't rule out a powder ski for an all around ski, depending on how it's dimensions are set up.
Old 02-06-2013   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
the weight and density of the ski relates to chatter, also softness of overall flex.

I would recomend a 5 dimentional design, LIKE the armada jj or bent chetler, or rmu apostle, icelantic keeper, nomad rkr. etc.

they ski shorter on hard pack so go longer +180cm, also those models are not identical, but share the same charicteristics.

i would choose a rmu apostle, hands down the funnest most nimble ski i've tried. kills it in crud and chop, fast... not freight train, but stable for sure
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #7

x, x
also, i do not like armada or atomic, or any major brand. You should look for praxis or on3p up your way.

i dont like the h2o guide stuff other than the tanzillina, that was a good one
Old 02-06-2013   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
also, i do not like armada or atomic, or any major brand. You should look for praxis or on3p up your way.
Any reason for that? The boutique manufacturers don't necessarily have a monopoly on quality though they can excel across certain features.
Old 02-06-2013   #9

x, x
mostly because the margins are not there for retail shops, they make the most money, give the poorest warrantys, drag their feet and try to get out of customer service all together. these botique skis are better built, more customer relations and less issues overall.

with 1 exception, here is something that burns my ass.....

icelantic skis, here in colorado, give there shit away to anyone who send an e-mail or shows up at a first friday for about 350$, how are the shops around here supposed to compete with the supplier, if they sell all the skis to the locals? bent gate and wildy x have a return set up, but WTF? the only shops making retail are OUT OF STATE!!!

I have no idea how the future of small ski shops will deal with this kind of thing, so....

i guess its damed if you do, or damed if you dont. but fuck thats a shitty game to play.
Old 02-06-2013   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
I'm not too keen on Icelantic as their production is all in China. It's not that foreign production is bad. It's that they put on this Colorado persona when other Colorado and US producers make their skis domestically. Of course, I don't know where my BDs were made and my Dynastars (French company) were made in Spain. So, yes, I'm kind of a douche by judging Icelantic or any other CO company for not producing in the US.