Grand Targhee or Steamboat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2005   #1

Grand Targhee or Steamboat?

I have friends coming out to visit me in Laramie and we are trying to decide where to ski Thanksgiving weekend. It has been narrowed down to Steamboat or Grand Targhee. Now obviously Targhee is a much longer drive for me. SO is Targhee really that much better than Steamboat.

upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005   #2

Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go to Targhee, the terain is way better, and you would be close to Jackson Hole..
Or you could wait and see who has better snow..
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005   #3

oh yeah
i've been to both. had good days at both. given the early season gamble, i'd go to steamboat since it's a shorter drive. go to targhee after the holidays when the snow collects.
-dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Assuming the snow's good at both, it really depends on what level skiier you are and when they'll be here. If its around a holiday or on weekend, you'll want to get as far from the Front Range as possible. Watch the storm tracks during the week beforehand, then head for whichever's getting hammered.

I saw a dusting on the peaks the other day....

Have fun,

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #5

Find out when scholarship day is at Steamboat. The first day of the season is $15 tickets and the proceeds go to the junior ski teams. I don't think one resort has a real advantage over the other when it comes to terrain.
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #6

Really have to wait on that decision. Both places tend to have good early season snow, but can't be relied on. Targhee can get a bit more, but needs more. At 30 to 40 inches (maybe a bit optomistic for both) it is my opinion Steamboat would be better. Targhee hiking is sweet, but needs more snow. On hill Targhee is not much better than Steamboat. Jackson isn't open that time of year so is not a factor. All said in done if one gets snow and not the other that is where you should go. Same snow, Steamboat is more likely to have better terrain open early. My 2 cents.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #7

UTAH

go to Utah unlike Targee or Steamboat I can gaurantee they will have snow.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #8

You could go to (not so) Snowy Range.
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #9

Salt Lake City man.
matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Uhhh.. I didn't see that you'll be going over Thanksgiving.

If Ullr bestows his blessing and the big trap doors in the sky open up during November you'll be set. Chances are, however that you'll want to be somewhere with good snowmaking. Thanksgiving's only been a ski holiday since it was cast as such by marketing departments after a couple of good early seasons once upon a time. Most years its celebrated by skittering down rock-hard, icy blue runs with a zillion gapers and standing in 30-minute liftlines. Unless you find some rare resort with a combination of mega snowmaking and zero tourists (look for flocks of flying pigs there too...), the only worthwhile skiing will be when everyone else is gorging themselves with turkey.

Maybe Targhee's that blessed resort - check their snowmaking, pray for a big November, and think about a Plan B in case folks are just reporting 20 inches of man-made snow.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote