Get Yer' Colorado Search and Rescue Card! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 06-03-2009   #1

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Get Yer' Colorado Search and Rescue Card!

The Vallecito rescue incident convinced us to put out a reminder to get a Colo Search and Rescue card. They're $3.00/year or $12.00 for 5 years.

This is a must for the river, plus the mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, fly-fisherman, and for hiking/camping.

It wouldn't take much in the wilderness to create a hairy situation, and a rescue without the card is really expensive.

Here's the link - get one!
https://dola.colorado.gov/corsar_order/order

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #2

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Do you have to be a resident of Colorado to participate. I couldn't find any requirements on the Colorado S&R website.

Edit...

I found it:

Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #3

Louisville, Colorado
I just recently became aware that COSAR cards do not cover air transport, just FYI. You can still get an ugly bill if the helocopter shows up.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009   #4

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The CORSAR card does not pay for an air ambulance, as it would not pay for a ground ambulance if you were in a car accident. The majority of helicopters used in SAR are goverment if they are available and in the vicinity. If medical support is needed immediatly they will use a medical helicopter, if it is a search or in a precarious situation a military helicopter will most likely be used. The point is: THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR SEARCH AND RESCUE. Unless there is illegal activity involved. Be safe out there!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #5

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
For you crackbook people...

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #6

I got to disagree with the idea of no charge for search and rescue. Money and good will does not grow on trees. You are responsible for yourself.

The COSAR card is a great way to deal with this.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
I was under the impression that the CORSAR card doesn't buy anything. I got one this summer but I thought that it was just a donation to CORSAR and is akin to buying one of those "I love cops so I bought this cops association sticker" stickers to put on your back window in hopes that kissing their ass will get you out of a ticket.

But... maybe I am mistaken.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The COSAR fund enables SAR teams to recover costs associated with rescue missions. It will not pay for an air ambulance but if we use a private helicopter for search or transport it may cover this expense. It's worth the small cost to help offset the costs of running an all volunteer organization. SAR teams seems to be the bastard child of emergency services, we don't get much public funding. Most of our operating expenses are paid for by private donations, COSAR helps. Search and rescue is free!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
I got to disagree with the idea of no charge for search and rescue. Money and good will does not grow on trees. You are responsible for yourself.

The COSAR card is a great way to deal with this.
It is true that one should be responsible for themselves, but I would hate to see someone die because they were in a bad situation and did not call for SAR because they felt the rescue bill could be to large. I buy hunting licenses and several OHV registrations each year, of which a small percentage goes to the rescue fund. This fund reimburses SAR, even though many organizations do not try to collect from the people they help. It is a great and affordable program. Use it.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #10

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Not sure why there is so much debate. You help fund search and rescue, and it covers costs if you get caught in a jam. It may not cover the cost of a bird, but if it's comin' for you, I'm pretty sure that the cost is the last thing on your mind...

It's $3 friggin' dollars a year - that's just over the price of a gallon of gas.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote