Gapers swarm the slopes... - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-30-2005   #1

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Gapers swarm the slopes...

P. Bizzle (or is it just Bizzle now, like Puff Diddy...???) will appreciate this...

I was on Travelocity and almost shit my pants when I saw a promotional section for Vail Resorts that had the following:

Now’s the time to dust off your skis and boards and hit the hill before lift lines grow and gapers swarm the slopes. Plus, as an added early season incentive, travel prior to December 16 at select Vail Resorts destinations and you’ll ski one day for free!

Do gapers even know what gapers are? What kind of PR statement is that?! I have to give props to whoever wrote the ad, I like their sense of humor.

No B.S., here is the link: http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promotions/0,,TRAVELOCITY|3146|lm_main,00.html

-D

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005   #2

chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Heyyy, that used to be our word for them now they're using it. I want it back. Wonder what gapers has to say about this...
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005   #4
sj

is'nt that like pooping in your bed? I don't get that. I am guessing there will bre an opening in Marketing shortly . sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #5

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Dempsey -
Vail should pay particular attention to the Thanksgiving crowd demographic:
Gaper Gap (that space of exposed skin between goggles and hat/helmet)
Starter Jackets
Scotch-guard jeans
Fogged goggles
Rental boots

Gapers have no idea that they're gapers. Watch them carry their skis/boards to the lodge, click into bindings, load the lifts, etc. You want to help them but it's so goddamn funny that you decide not to just so you can have another story to laugh over with your buds at the bar.

To my knowledge, skiing is the only sport that this "gaper phenomenon" is so prevailent, meaning that said gapers have NO IDEA that they are gapers.

At least beginner kayakers KNOW they look like idiots. Same goes for surfers, bikers, etc. But for some reason, the tourons who hit the slopes are oblivious. Must be the lack of oxygen.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
What is a gaper and how do I camouflage myself so as not to be seen as one (even though I probably am one, with my second day on the mountain being Friday...)

I'm all about jumping through the buzz hoops of coolness...
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
gaper

\Gap"er\, n. 1. One who walks around with mouth open or agape out of confusion, amazement, a feeling of being disoriented, or impared ability to breath, usually accompanied by a blank stare indicative of leaving your brain at home.

2. Derogatory slang term used by locals in mountain resort towns to describe clueless zombie-like tourists who can be identified by such visual markings such as "gaper gap" (helmet or hat sitting back on head such that a strip of skin appears between headwear and ski goggles), starter jackets, blue jeans as ski pants, anything bearing the U of Nebraska "N" (mistakenly meant to stand for "knowledge"), rear entry boots, long skinny skis sporting the word "equipe" on them, golashes, one piece ski suits (see "fag bag"), stretch pants, real tree camo, or hats with antlers/dinosaur features/felt dreadlocks/dr. seus imitations, etc. ad nauseum.
Old 11-30-2005   #8

what about dayglow
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #9

Metro Area, Colorado
don't forget matching his and her's skiis, and rental gear of any kind...
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #10

Eagle County, Colorado
P. Biz,

Actually I DO have to help them all as I am doing guest services at Beaver Creek on Sundays. I guess it isn't that bad.