Gaper is back! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2007   #1

Gaper is back!

After a good experience in Colorado we have decided to go again this season, I bought the tickets for the 1rst of January to the 6, leaving at midnight, so this time we have much more time 6 almost full days(much more than last time). This time we have decided to take sometime of the slopes and actually drive around to get to know the area. Any advice on places to visit near Frisco? I am staying in the same hotel, as it was pretty good and economical. We are even considering to drive one day to Aspen and maybe ski there and walk around. As far as the resorts goes, I will probably decide there, I know for a fact I will go to Cooper Mountain, and A-basin but the other days are still open for decision. We are looking forward for a great season.

Winter is around the corner.

fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You could hit the hot springs pool in Glenwood on the way to Aspen.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #3
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fet123 View Post
After a good experience in Colorado we have decided to go again this season, I bought the tickets for the 1rst of January to the 6, leaving at midnight, so this time we have much more time 6 almost full days(much more than last time). This time we have decided to take sometime of the slopes and actually drive around to get to know the area. Any advice on places to visit near Frisco? I am staying in the same hotel, as it was pretty good and economical. We are even considering to drive one day to Aspen and maybe ski there and walk around. As far as the resorts goes, I will probably decide there, I know for a fact I will go to Cooper Mountain, and A-basin but the other days are still open for decision. We are looking forward for a great season.

Winter is around the corner.
I just got a hot local "tip"

I hear there's a resort that almost no one knows about, you should check it out, it's called "Breckenridge" or somethin along those lines, I hear it's sweet & there's never any lift lines!!

Just f'in with ya, How is cooper? I've always wanted to check it out, but I stopped riding the resorts a couple years ago (especially in summit), but cooper seems like it'd be a cool place.

If you want the "full experience" check out steamboat, It's one of the only big resorts worth going to anymore, strawberry hot springs is GREAT (and interesting after dark!), the town is more laid back & less congested than the denver of the weekend-summit county. It's growing like mad, so it'll suck ass also in a few years, but go before it does.

going riding tomorrow aft, WINTER IS HERE, WHOO HOO!!!!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007   #4

Kaleb?! Are you really recommending Flatboat? I would have expected better from someone like you . Steamboat is a neat area with good atmosphere and decent terrain but is a little lacking in gradient (I'm talking about in bounds; I realize that if you go off-piste, there is some sick terrain in the area). Ski Cooper is cool little old-school homestyle ski area with a great little cozy ambiance. You will find powder on marked runs three days after it snowed but, alas, the steepest black they have is comparable to most blues at A-Basin. Worth checking out for a day but not much more (in my humble opinion). Great place to take the family.

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #5

oh yeah
kaleb's from minnesota and doesn't know better. and he want's you to go to breck to keep you off of keystone(ed), his home hill. he has the inside scoop of the elusive front side stashes and the super secret joe keck stash that's right under the main chair.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #6

Aahh. That explains a lot about Kaleb. Have fun fruitbootin' on Schoolmarm (but don't let Joe catch you goin' too fast).
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #7
I kayak DH.

it's Wisconsin damit!

Derk, normally I'm with you, but maybe you've become desensitized to the congestion in scummit, that place sucks, maybe you could exclude A & Cooper, but at least up in boat it's not full of denver douchebags, it's full of texas & arkansas douchebags.

As far as terrain goes, you just know the scummit resorts & know the good stashes, there's tons of sweet terrain in boat, you just got to know how to find it, just like in summit.

btw, come playin my world this winter, no panzy, inbounds, congested, liftline waiting, fur wearing gapers, tracked up snow riding for me bud!!!

cause I ride skistoned, where the pow is!?
Old 10-04-2007   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
For the love of god ... don't go to A$$pen (or snowma$$, HIGHlands, or butt3rm!lk) they have to many prada wearing, snowboard h8ting, fuzzy boot cougers in That town. Besides, it's way to far of a drive from Frisco and costs more that $80 a day. J/K

shh... don't tell anyone, but it's a great place to ride from LARGE park, to hidden back bowls. Lots of terrain. Only 2 problems... it's Expensive for a day ticket, and your gonna need more than a day.

All ya h8ters... eye heart u as well
Old 10-04-2007   #9
I kayak DH.

asspen is a great mountain, I just wish we could lose the town!! Of course I think that about most places though!

the only mountains worth a shit are the ones without a lodge & condos at the bottom!!
Old 10-04-2007   #10
sj

Fet123 you know the drill wait till post 137 and the good advice will start coming in. Caleb what part of Wi.? My wife and I went from Breck to Grad School in Bowldar to Chicago. Cheeseland was my salvation for 18 months. Then I moved to Highlands Ranch and everything was cool again.

Really fet Aspen is worth a look the Mountain is good Town is interesting. The wife and I always stayed at the hot springs in Glennwood and day tripped to Aspen. Do a little apre Ski then an early Dinner and head back to the pools. If your young and studly you can do it as a day trip. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote