Fat and Stiff? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Fat and Stiff?

So at the end of last season, I finally broke my Volkl Gotama's that I've been riding since 2003. I need to replace them, and want some input. I love the 105 underfoot, and don't want to go too much wider, maybe up to 110. I also like a stiff, lively ski and not a wet noodle. I'm not sold on the reverse sidecut skis, either, but it seems like almost every powder ski on the market has that now. So what are my options? What do people like? Is there a reverse sidecut ski that still does well on groomers? Any recommendations on a powder ski that's stiff and still does well in crud?

Thanks!

cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
do you mean reverse sidecut or rocker? Beacuse very few skis are using reverse sidecut, but tons have rocker. If you liked your Gotama's I would reccomend anything around the same size that Volkl has this year ( I don't know their line that well) but you would crazy not to try a rockered ski. Most skis in that size range like, this year's K2 Seth model have tip and tail rocker with some camber underfoot and regular sidecut. The rocker does not negatively affect skiing on groomers, but it changes skiing in all other types of conditions in a dramatically positive way. Unless you are worried about your Nastar times (which doesn't seem likely since you have been skiing on Gotamas) do not hesitate to go to a rockered ski. My $.02...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Yeah, sure, I meant "rocker" or reverse camber. Whatever that new fangled stuff is. Not worried about Nastar times but would like to be able to still go fast and make turns on groomers without feeling like a total gaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzin View Post
would like to be able to still go fast and make turns on groomers without feeling like a total gaper.
I don't own any skis without rocker anymore. You can still ski fast on groomers. If you look at K2's line this year even some of their skis that are around 75 under foot have rocker in the tips. It just makes skiing more fun.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #5
H2 Hoes

Kayak, Colorado
the 4frnt VCTS are awsome ill be on my 4 year this year on my pair. 108 under foot stiff but with good pop. id recomend tem to anybody
Old 11-15-2010   #6

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
My sights are set upon the new K2 Seths or Side Stash. The Armada JJs make be worth a look, too. Unfortunately, I have yet to part with the coin for either yet. I did just add my kid as an insured driver today. Bye bye cash! Rocker skis may have to wait.
Old 11-15-2010   #7

Louisville, Colorado
I wouldn't have believed it before a demo, but rocker rocks! Skied a pair of the K2 side stashes last year on demo, and couldn't buy a pair quick enough. Even bought hubby a pair. As I understand it they aren't full rocker, they are considered a "flat" ski - rockered tip, traditional tail. Yes, they are a little more work in flats, but so fun everywhere else (except maybe skining- they are really heavy).
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #8

The next zone, .
I am not sure if it applies to where you ride and I love rocker for deeeeeep pow but if you ride the BC a ton and have icy or hard pack drop ins or when you cross icy runnels in the spring then you need some form of camber...

Too much rocker will cause you to loose your edge if you are crossing any type of blue ice or the melt freeze windblown stuff that forms just below cornices.. I got rid of my uber rocker board for cheap when it almost ended me crossing a blue ice runnel and I lost my edge.. Worst part is that once you fall on ice you only have a small part of the ski/board that will be able to slow you down as the tips and tales are useless due to the rocker.. I was able to self arrest on the fall as I hit some soft snow just above a huge cliff that needless to say I did not want any part of..

For all resort skiing and for most of the BC stuff folks get into rocker is great but for big committing lines where you might be forced into a runnel with ice you will want to have something that does not have too much rocker caus you want to be able to hold a edge in these places..
Old 11-15-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
I am not sure if it applies to where you ride and I love rocker for deeeeeep pow but if you ride the BC a ton and have icy or hard pack drop ins or when you cross icy runnels in the spring then you need some form of camber...

Too much rocker will cause you to loose your edge if you are crossing any type of blue ice or the melt freeze windblown stuff that forms just below cornices.. I got rid of my uber rocker board for cheap when it almost ended me crossing a blue ice runnel and I lost my edge.. Worst part is that once you fall on ice you only have a small part of the ski/board that will be able to slow you down as the tips and tales are useless due to the rocker.. I was able to self arrest on the fall as I hit some soft snow just above a huge cliff that needless to say I did not want any part of..

For all resort skiing and for most of the BC stuff folks get into rocker is great but for big committing lines where you might be forced into a runnel with ice you will want to have something that does not have too much rocker caus you want to be able to hold a edge in these places..
Any recommendations?
Old 11-15-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzin View Post
So at the end of last season, I finally broke my Volkl Gotama's that I've been riding since 2003. I need to replace them, and want some input. I love the 105 underfoot, and don't want to go too much wider, maybe up to 110. I also like a stiff, lively ski and not a wet noodle. I'm not sold on the reverse sidecut skis, either, but it seems like almost every powder ski on the market has that now. So what are my options? What do people like? Is there a reverse sidecut ski that still does well on groomers? Any recommendations on a powder ski that's stiff and still does well in crud?

Thanks!
I bought my 13 year old a female version of the Seth. It has a mildly rockered tip. She loves them. I also have a friend who is a great skier who has the old conventional Seth and he loves them. He sold a pair of the reverse side cuts.

Beware though if you like Volkl you may find the K2 too soft.

I don't like the K2 or Volkl. Volkl feels dead to me and the K2 Seth was to heavy and soft.

I like the Elan mid and fats. I ski a triple 8 but all their fat stuff gets great reviews. If you can get a demo you should try a pair. Elan uses a woodcore sandwiched between 2 sheets of Titanium and then aluminum top sheet. The triple 8 (88 underfoot) is light but carves like a champ on hardpack and can handle speed without getting squirrelly. The tails are usually not as wide so the ski will release out of a turn a little better. Great in the trees.

I been wanting to try the Blizzard line but they are hard to find and expensive. But everybody goes on about them. By looking at them they are obviously well made with expensive material.

I have spent a fair amount fo $$ demoing skies. I have tried a bunch and the 2 lines I like the best are ELAN and Dynastar. I demoed one of there legend series at Taos one year when they had near a 100 inch base. Those skies took me to new level of skiing and I would have bought a pair on the spot if I could have found them. The 2 other guys I was with bought a pair after just watching me ski on them. LOL!

This Elan is 110 under foot and has a rocker. I really would like to try these babies in Highlands Bowl.