Dynafit Bindings? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2009   #1
B Dog

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
Dynafit Bindings?

Just got a new set of skis and am thinking of mounting them with a Dynafit Binding. I have a Dynafit compatible boot and currently use the Fritschi Freeride, which I do like but wouldn't mind something lighter. My questions are what do people think of these, I usually see rave reviews, do they make a brake compatible for a ski with a 103 waist, and would I be better of with a different binding all together, and if I was to go with a Dynafit which one.
About me-- Most of my backcountry is pretty mellow stuff, not riding big Alaska size mountains, not that I don't want to, mostly accesed from a pass that can be driven to. I do a little tow in skiing. I'm not looking for a Rando Race type binding just something lighter than the Fritschi.
Thanks in advance
B

cbcboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009   #2

Edwards, Colorado
Check out Lou Dawson's site. - Lou Dawson's Backcountry Skiing Blog If you poke around in the archives you'll find loads of reviews and comments on Dynafit clamps. And if you have questions Lou has the answers.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #3

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Dynafit...

Last year I switched from Fritschis to a Dynafit TLT Vertical with wide brakes. For a dedicated backcountry set up I really like them. They tour better than Fritschis, are way lighter, you can lock out the binding if you're skiing lines with exposure and don't want the binding to come off.

Are they a bit more finicky than a Fritschi?- yes-you need to be sure the toe mechanism is clear of snow as you click into the binding and they're not quite as user friendly/brainless as a Fritschi. BUT, I feel its worth it.

Strong? yes, dynafits are made mostly of super strong stainless steel.

Wide brakes? yes, they are available

For other nuances about this binding look at Lou Dawson's wildsnow web site. It has all the research answers you'll ever need.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009   #4

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
I also switched this year to dynafit vertical FT from fritschis. Im an agressive skier and so far, so good on the dynafits. I popped out of them once while touring because I accidentally knocked the front lever into ski mode but ive yet to have any problems on the descent. The only thing that I find annoying about the dynafits is that you have to step out of the binding completely to go from ski mode to tour mode but the weight savings and durability make this small inconvenience worth it IMO.
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #5

the fort, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks8970 View Post
I also switched this year to dynafit vertical FT from fritschis. Im an agressive skier and so far, so good on the dynafits. I popped out of them once while touring because I accidentally knocked the front lever into ski mode but ive yet to have any problems on the descent. The only thing that I find annoying about the dynafits is that you have to step out of the binding completely to go from ski mode to tour mode but the weight savings and durability make this small inconvenience worth it IMO.
how did you not have to take your skis off completely with fritschis to put skins on before the up?
Old 01-26-2009   #6

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
how did you not have to take your skis off completely with fritschis to put skins on before the up?

I like to be able to switch into tour mode to move efficiently over short sections of flat or uphill terrain during and after descents. (no skins required)
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #7

Davis, California
if you have any sort of flexibility you can take skins off with the dynafits. lock your heel bring the back of the ski across your body pull the skin as you slowly bring your ski back down and then flick it off the top.

also you can go from ski to tour by doing th epole trick. admittedly it is harder with brakes on. but if you stick your pole hand between the tower and your boot and twist it as you step up, your heel will pop out with your toe in
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #8

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mitch View Post
if you have any sort of flexibility you can take skins off with the dynafits. lock your heel bring the back of the ski across your body pull the skin as you slowly bring your ski back down and then flick it off the top.

also you can go from ski to tour by doing th epole trick. admittedly it is harder with brakes on. but if you stick your pole hand between the tower and your boot and twist it as you step up, your heel will pop out with your toe in

I keep poles in both hands. Cali is always so cutting edge.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #9
B Dog

Missoula, Montana
Ok thanks guys, a couple more questions, brakes or no brakes--advantages/disadvantages (I know most are obvious)
So I went to Lou's page and noticed the blurb about doing drops and the ski flexing and your boot coming out, not that I am dropping anything huge, does anyone have experience/ issue with this happening?
Thanks
B
cbcboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #10

Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
Not trying to highjack a thread but I have a similar question.

Anyone know of a AT binding with a similar hole pattern as a salomon pilot system mounts?

If not, has anyone tried tappin the pilot system plates with their own holes?

My appreciation in advance for all comments.