Do young guys know how to wax? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-13-2013   #1

Do young guys know how to wax?

I was at Bent Gate in Golden and the sales people knew nothing about waxing skis. They just said "use skins" and waxless skis make waxing obsolete.

Are these views common amoung young people?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013   #2
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I know way too much about waxing alpine skis. Is that what you are looking for or are you talking nordic.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #3

Nordic.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013   #4
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
ehh. no lifts involved. Too much work.

Go to the swix website. they have all sorts of good videos teaching you how to tune alpine skis. I have to imagine it they have some for nordic too.

I do know that the correct was can be the difference between having fun and suffering. And that waxing noridc skis is absolutley not a thing of the past.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #5

B.F.E., Wyoming
I am a big fan of waxing skis for the SE wyo meadow skipping and approaches. But i was on the nordic team in high school and i think waxing is coded into a tele skiers genes. But i usually am the only one in my group cruising with wax while everybody fiddles with their skins. I carry a scraper and a cork when i plan on waxing. Between those tools and a tube of red, blue and purple wax will usually get me where im going without too much trouble.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
I am a big fan of waxing skis for the SE wyo meadow skipping and approaches. But i was on the nordic team in high school and i think waxing is coded into a tele skiers genes. But i usually am the only one in my group cruising with wax while everybody fiddles with their skins. I carry a scraper and a cork when i plan on waxing. Between those tools and a tube of red, blue and purple wax will usually get me where im going without too much trouble.
Yeah, about the only place up there that skins alone get it done is Centennial Ridge, I always either waxed or skied Guides in the SR.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #7

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
A properly waxed ski will out perform any climbing skin or no-wax base. There is no maybe. The perfomance difference is significant. If fish scales and climbing skins work so well how come they aren't used for racing? Even at the Middle School level you won't see any serious racer on anything but a waxable base.

Next time a sales person says wax is obsolete, ask them if they have ever actually tried it. No one that has actually used a no-wax and waxable ski side by side could ever believe such nonsense.

As a nordic instructor I am often shocked at the lack of knowledge in the retail shops. I'ts not just the young guys at Bent Gate, the same confusion exists at REI, Sports Authority, Christy's and all of the big box outlets. Every year I find it harder to find someone that even sells a waxable ski or a decent selection of kick waxes.

Fortunatly there is Boulder Nordic Sport. They are a dedicated high performance shop that caters to the nordic folks. They have an outstanding collection of waxes and lots of expert knowledge.

Last time I looked they sold a complete line of waxes from Toko, Swix, Rohde, Start and several others. They also are the very best place for getting nordic skis stone ground and tuned.

https://www.bouldernordicsport.com/s...-kick-wax.aspx
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
A properly waxed ski will out perform any climbing skin or no-wax base. There is no maybe. The perfomance difference is significant.

https://www.bouldernordicsport.com/s...-kick-wax.aspx
That is an absolutely false statement. Wax will never equal skins on a modern backcountry skintrack. Skins will never equal wax for glide. We're talking about 2 different kinds of days.
Old 03-14-2013   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
Wax will never equal skins on a modern backcountry skintrack.
It's true, that wax won't climb as steeply as a lot of the "San Juan Skin Tracks." But, the OP was talking about Nordic.

Furthermore, and I know this is off topic and is probably going to get me flamed, but I happen to think that laying in the steepest skin track your 150 underfoot, full coverage skins will climb is poor etiquette. It leads to more tracks getting laid in by skis that can't (or don't want to) climb so steeply. To me it's just as rude as the gaper who cuts in a track all the way back and forth across a big fresh line, rather than climbing to the side of the run. Preserve the freshies- lay in a track that is a balance between the "modern" skin track and a nordic waxless track- something that a moderate BC setup can climb.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've heard a lot of good talk about waxing for AT climbs. I've tried it a little and always come up short on hold. I've used narrow skins on wide skis, and while it makes gliding a little more efficient, the time lost when switching to the full width for the steeper climb negated any earlier gain. Seems the only time either of these will be helpful is on a loong mellow approach.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote