CURRENT MONARCH CONDITIONS????? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2006   #1

CURRENT MONARCH CONDITIONS?????

For the 2.5 hour dirve. monarch seems like the best bet. there snow totalls are confusing. does anybody know the true 24/48/72 hour totals? anybody been up there? Also, we usually camp out of maysville, rd 240, where is the snow line? Thanks in advance.

cheers

Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
8' in past 24, 12' in past 48. 79 inch bace. Awesome shots in the trees. Top of mountains are windblown. The trees off Panorama were getting majorly windloaded yesterday, as was Curecanti and Xmas Tree. Mirkwood sick. Lots of pow and lots of lines. Avoid the ridge, its really windblown. Backcountry is always good off pass and at waterdog lakes. not sure on current avvy conditions in the area. last time below garfield was 3/4, the snow ended there. havent been below since new snow, would bet money that low is clear. hope this helps.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #3

As for the Monarch BC; Belly deep. Bring a Snorkel.
killtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006   #4

Trip Report

We headed out friday evening from the front range. camped in the ark valley. skied monarch on satruday. the typical runs were good. Gunbarrel trees, totaly fresh, the tress off the back of the garfield lift were fresh on the first run. Curacanti from the top via pioneer (?) were really fun, and the curracanti cornice was over 10', that was a blast. but the true gem of the day was staircase and east trees. Mirkwood is not neew to me, but these two runs were. and the best terrain at monarch by far, we took 4 runs starting at staircase and working our way east. every single run was complete virgin snow. We hammered it, deep (18+ plus), steeps, 45 degrees, small hits (2-6'), sweet little chutes 10+ feet. and again, totally untracked. most people were just heading to the top of mirkewood, we traversed at the southbound sign over to staircase and east trees. WOW. Monarch gained a lot of respect this weekend. previously, i figured it the glory turn pow stash easy trees place. Now east trees and staircase rock. Like said, this was the only area of mirkwood we have not skied. and chanced into it on our way to lodge view. anyway, i now havee more respect.

camped again in secrect spot. best winter camp spot.

Sunday we hit the south side of the pass, and did a couple power line runs, actually a few hundred yards east of the power lines. Nice long deep tree runs. super super fun. about 12+ plus of fresh, could fee a little crud underneath but did not effect anything. really really fun. prevously we had hung out in homestake bowl, also fun, but like the return skin up form the power line.

Good trip. Our last of our cheap tix vouchers at monarch, so propbably stick north the rest of the trip.
Old 03-13-2006   #5

Salto:

If you where traveling with pop-up campers, I likely noted you on the pass. Give a hoot if you come up again. Monarch Pass is kicking!
killtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #6

Killtunes,

Yes, that was us. The pass had tons of snow and fun terrain. We might make it back there this year, not sure. We are up on berthoud pass almost weekly. BP has great snowpack at the momment....Look for us if you are in the area.

Cheers,
JEff
Old 03-13-2006   #7
God Amongst Men

hey if you come back up this way, hit me up too....im a pretty regular guy at monarch, i try to make it up at least once or twice a week. has anyone hit the fooses creek chutes this year? i missed my oppourtunity to go sledding this year in that area. also, does anyone know of any 40-60'rs close to the pass or within hiking distance of the resort? with monarchs deeep snow, thats really what i want to do in that area. i jsut cant think of any huge cliffs in the general bc area.
Old 03-13-2006   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have hunted all over the pass for cliffs. The best I have found are in the cat area (the Hydrant) and on Gracy's in the trees there is a fun 20 footer. I have not found anything in the big and clean category your are talking about. Maybe up above Boss Lake but I have never explored really seriously in that area.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #9
God Amongst Men

yeah, no worries. what is the winter scene like on the east side of cottonwood pass? from this side its such a long ride in its not worth it, theres better places to go. but with the awesome snowmobile access up there, is there any big cliffs in that area?
Old 03-13-2006   #10

Meeting up with a couple others at the top of the pass around 9am. I'm always open to new partners that are competent in the bc/avy-wise, if you locals (or anyone else) would like to join.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote