Crested Butte Mountain Resort Expansion Denied - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 11-13-2009   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Crested Butte Mountain Resort Expansion Denied

Shock and awe

Shock was admittedly the first reaction of just about everyone as they heard the news that the Forest Service rejected Crested Butte Mountain Resortís plan to expand lifts onto Snodgrass Mountain. Reaction in Crested Butte, Mt. Crested Butte and the County was one of universal surprise.

CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah, and then shortly followed by a bitter feeling of disgust, as the future of our valley and towns just got a whole lot dimmer. it was then followed by a sense of confusion, on how this process suddenly took a 180 degree turn in five months, after it was supposedly "good to go"? and then the last feeling was one of dread, knowing that the hippies and trustfunders are going to rise up and claim "victory" and how "they stopped the evil empire". yeah, great. you guys won. and obviously dont give two shits about the economic sustainability of the county. first no mine, and now no ski area. what else is going to fuel out area? what else is going to account for more than half of the total revenue of the county? western can only do so much, and i think youll find that college attendance and the ski area are very closely intertwined. how do you think most of these folks who are against the lifts got here in the first place?

terrible, terrible decision. john norton was dead on his article today. every homeowner and business owner in the valley just got fucked in the ass, and its a total joke of politics and scheming that brought it on. so lets get this inevitable circle jerk of congratulations and kudos over with, celebrate your "victory" and then shut up already. thanks for moving here from elsewhere and shitting all over our valley, because yes, youre right, you moved here from (fill in the blank) and suddenly after five years you think you know whats best for this valley and it's economy. fuckin joke. it PAINS me to think how stupid and ignorant some people in this valley are. just my two cents, yeti out.....................

oh yeah, and it aint over
Old 11-13-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Long time no see Yeti! Tell us how you really feel? I have to admit I knew nothing about this other then ready about the denial a day or two ago. So what killed It? Was it massive CB south homeowners against the mountain? Rare species of Gothic Moth? Or just the end of business as usual in the Forest Service? Any links to the rejection statement from the F.S.?

On a side note, are you going to be at the Butterfly's opening Yeti? We should hook up if I can shake my injury and my wife to go ski opening day.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #4

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
yeah, and then shortly followed by a bitter feeling of disgust, as the future of our valley and towns just got a whole lot dimmer. it was then followed by a sense of confusion, on how this process suddenly took a 180 degree turn in five months, after it was supposedly "good to go"? and then the last feeling was one of dread, knowing that the hippies and trustfunders are going to rise up and claim "victory" and how "they stopped the evil empire". yeah, great. you guys won. and obviously dont give two shits about the economic sustainability of the county. first no mine, and now no ski area. what else is going to fuel out area? what else is going to account for more than half of the total revenue of the county? western can only do so much, and i think youll find that college attendance and the ski area are very closely intertwined. how do you think most of these folks who are against the lifts got here in the first place?

terrible, terrible decision. john norton was dead on his article today. every homeowner and business owner in the valley just got fucked in the ass, and its a total joke of politics and scheming that brought it on. so lets get this inevitable circle jerk of congratulations and kudos over with, celebrate your "victory" and then shut up already. thanks for moving here from elsewhere and shitting all over our valley, because yes, youre right, you moved here from (fill in the blank) and suddenly after five years you think you know whats best for this valley and it's economy. fuckin joke. it PAINS me to think how stupid and ignorant some people in this valley are. just my two cents, yeti out.....................

oh yeah, and it aint over
Oh yeah and you could move to a more prosperous area that isn't so remote and have all the development and amenities that you want.
Old 11-14-2009   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
This decision by the Forest Service seemed to be out of nowhere. Since the expansion talks started in the early 90's, it seems that public opinion has swayed to support expansion onto Snodgrass. The growth of CB's economic base seems to be in jeapordy as stated above. It is only natural that the ski area grows with the rest of the valley supporting business and residents who live and raise families there.
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #6

USFS Letter to CBMR Denying Expansion Proposal's moving into NEPA: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gmug/policy/...odgrassLtr.pdf

Two articles in the local paper:
The Crested Butte News - Snodgrass: Reactions in the Valley…,
The Crested Butte News - Forest Service rejects Snodgrass
Old 11-15-2009   #7

mountains, Colorado
Yeti-
I must say I am surprised that someone born and raised in CB would be such a fan of change and wouldn't instead prefer to stick to the ranching roots.

On a side note...I would be interested to know how many people who live in CB were actually born there. Just curious.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i was born and raised in Gunnison, but im a firm believer of one valley - two towns. and while i love the valley that ive spent my whole life in, i am also a realist, and know that the economic success of this community is directly tied to the ski area. it fuels a huge portion of our economy, from the employees of the ski area and the direct beneficiaries in the base village, down all the way to the people in gunnison who work the liquor stores who keep the skiers happy on their way in or out. everything in this valley, including the college, is tied in some way or another to that ski area and its ability to pull in the tourists and their dollars. change isnt always a good thing, but it is a necessary evil in todays society. so in a time when every other major ski area in CO has expanded, (copper, breck, t-ride, etc) the axiom in the ski insdustry, while cliche, is also true: expand or die. and thats the position were in now.

the humorous part to me, is the anti-lift crowd simply bemoans the loss of one hill's worth of backcountry skiing. theres no talk of economics or anything related to the business side of things, just bitching about some skinning terrain. but ask any of the pro-lifters, and the argument isnt about the terrain one bit, but about the economic side of the expansion, and how much it means to this community.

everyone is dreading an aspen or telluride style sprawl following this expansion, but im afraid thats really not the case. what a lot of people dont know is crested butte is near build out, which means every piece of land has been developed or is in stages of development. weve pushed right to the edge of the federal lands, and the only development will come in places where it exists already. there wont be a string of huge homes up the east river valley, nor will there be access to the area at meridian lakes. theres a hundred reasons why this wouldnt, or COULDNT, become another one of those, but the anti-lift crowd just takes a ultimate fatalistic viewpoint, the same they do about the mine, and its really undue at all. a little bit of education about the subject is all it takes.

like i said, im not one to see stuff get overdeveloped, but ultimately without the mine, the ski area is THE long term financial future of this county, and without it, this county dies. so, i would like to see it done right, to ensure a better future for everyone that calls this valley home!
Old 11-16-2009   #9

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Yes Yeti this valley is filled with lots of ignorant,sheltered and insulated individuals.....You are one of them.
You should spend the remainder of your life here in the valley, with a life term as village idiot.
I make my living in the ski industry and am against the mine and snodgrass.
Snodgrass is simply a real estate deal meant to generate income through the sale of lots to the beau monde (read rich and typically absent). These folks, IF they bought lots would have little long term benefit to OUR valley. CBMR still has lots of vacant, unsold lots available in the Prospect development.
These are the people who come to our valley, with their deep pockets and a different opinion on what are valley ought to be, and leverage their Aspen/Vail/Telluride rich fuck attitude into public policy.
CBMR still has lots of vacant, unsold lots available in the Prospect development.
You are right, most of the anti expansion types are reviling the loss of in (imo) some mediocre (imo) BC terrain. The reason they dont discuss the economic side is that there is not one. This expansion benefits very few except the ultra rich, their lakeys, and the overpopulated real esnakes. Trickle down economics?? really?
Of course CBMR dosent want to put lifts into the Meridian Lake neighborhood. Most of these people have already bought or built their houses there. Why would CBMR allow all the houses , lots, in Meridian lake enjoy the benefits (ie:increased property values, ski/in/out, and further deveplopment. They have the sole interest of containing the monetary gains in their coffers.
Snobgrass would ultimately have been a garish collection of vacant mcmansions, unfinished projects and and a despoiled mountain.

I would like commened the forest service for their desicion not to bend over and kow tow to the whims of the rich and their large corporate backers.
humbly, tfpoba

ps-if i ever figure out who you are Im gonna knock the teeth out from under the dumbass ned flanders mustache
thefreshpimpofbigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
The power of the pen

It is amazing how much power a bureaucrat with the strike of a pen.

I don't know anything about this project. From the outside it sounds like something I would want a popular vote on, and then an EPA assessment on impact. Not an administrative official deciding on for my town.