Castle Valley Area of Moab in Spring - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > Winter Buzz

Old 01-05-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Castle Valley Area of Moab in Spring

Thinking of a long weekend of day hikes (car camping, nothing fancy) in the Castle Valley area the third week of March. Will it just be totally crowded?

lodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016   #2

When is Easter this year? It's the jamboree you have to watch out for. Otherwise spring break is a great time to be out there weather wise.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Castle Valley Area of Moab in Spring

Good point. I went to Moab in late February of this last year and stayed there for $35.00 cash a night. Came through in early May and it was $150. At the same motel.

Make sure you know what and when stuff is happening. Moab area has become much like Alaska has during the tourist season.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I was there 4/20 last year and yes the whole area was crowded. Campgrounds were full, but there were still places to get away.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
We're camping, so not worried about hotels. Probably around the 19th of March. I'm from here so I know the weather could be anything but I don't know that I want to deal with a ton of people. That, and if it's really crowded we may have trouble getting a campsite.
Old 01-06-2016   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
If you're considering primitive camping, there are a ton of sites up Onion Creek and along Kane Creek that I can't image all fill up, ever. I don't think you'll have any trouble. FYI, the skiing in the La Sals is quite nice at that time of year.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Yeah the motorheads can be kind of a swarm that time of year depending on when the "easter jeep safari" starts. In my experience get down there and check it out, if its super busy, getting out of moab and into the surrounding areas is super fun. the san rafael swell is real close, and not nearly as packed. plenty of great hikes in there.
Rendezvous River Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #8

Safari, that's what it is. Jeep Jamboree is that one they do in different locations all through the year, I misspoke. Moab jeep safari is March 19-27th this year. We generally do White Rim during the kids spring break, I've just seen the edges of how crazy it can get during that.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Yikes. Well, I guess we won't be any where near Moab that week after all. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-07-2016   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado
San Raf is pretty awesome. Goblin Valley, Wild Horse, etc. If you've got an extra day of travel time, the area around Escalante UT, and particularly "Hole in the Rock Road" is bonkers cool. E.g. Spooky Slot.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote