Canada DUI? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-23-2009   #31

We should all be proud to be the land of the brave free entry.
Imagine the world if backass countries like canada let in the derilect drunk drivers and didn't have a place to pen them up like gitmo. The Gaza strip would be a vacation hot spot. God forbid you are driving to our state of Alaska with less than $30 a day, you may die in an abandoned school bus or something on the way. General Clark should not have stopped at Detroit. NAFTA my arse.
Cannucks are yahoos in my book, eh!

well I feel better

SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
So hears the dealeo. After researching this boarder crossing problem very thuruoghly online I still didn't have any solid data on what to do or what to expect. I did talk to to one friend who was able to shed a little light on the subject. When he was crossing the boarder with his sister in-law they were pulled inside because of a dui that she receieved three years prior. My freind told me that she had to get some some character refrence letters faxed up and they let her cross. I tried to sell my spots and even thought i had sold them on one occasion but the deal fell thru so i figured what the hell? The worst thing that could happen would be that i'd be out $2600 for the cat and go ski for a week with my wife at white fish. So i got together a couple of refrence letters and off i went. sure enough got to the boarder and pulled inside. she told me there was an issue because of a dui conviction i had. I told her my story and what my freind had told me. she asked when my probation was over and I said 06 and she eplained I wouldn't be allowed into canada until 2016 and that they only grant passes in extreme situations. AND I WAS LIKE OH SHIT HEAR WE GOor don't go). I explained i contacted the consulate and it was to late to get my money back for the trip. She asked a couple more questions and said your wife is really going to be bummed if you don't go on your trip. then she asked if i had any other arrests and i told her in 99 i was arested for dui but it was all dismissed... she told me she was going to grant me a temporary resident permit but with the second arrest I'm going to have to call immigration. (SHIT SHIT SHIT) a hour and a half older and $169 poorer and i was in canda. the skiing was great w/ vallhala I could only imagine what it like on a good snow year. they are only 50% of average snow pack but the town of Nelson kicks ass!! any ways i've said enough it was quite the ordeal but i made it.

oh yeah for swimteam101 i didn't see any body drinking and driving in canada(yeah right) only half the the local snowmobile club was in the ditch after the poker run. if you canadians are so morally superior what are you doing down hear anyway eh?
Used to live in Whitefish and crossed the border all the time because I had a Fernie pass too. The biggest key with a DUI is don't admit to having been arrested which is the general question they ask. You can always backtrack if they figure it out, apologize and let them know you didn't realize DUI was included, offer to pay a fine if that is required. Most likely they will be happy with this.
To have the most hassle free chance...
Always be ready as you get to the border with passports for everyone in drivers hand and radio turned off.
Be ready to let them know where you are going, how long you are going to be there. Where you are from and how you know each other.
Of course being clean cut with a nice looking car helps. And if there is a girl in your group with a clean record always let her drive because most border patrol are men. A big portion of the time they pull out the people who don't seem organized. It used to be 5 years past your DUI. I suppose they may have changed that in the last couple of years but I lived there for 7.

There are many horror stories out there but I've also heard plenty of what you got which was pay a fine and we'll let you in. Usually it helps if you are staying at a nice place like this and are planning on spending lots of money. It also helped for us that it was only 45 minutes back if the DUI person got in trouble and they tended to be friendly with people living close too. Had several friends with DUI cross with us and never got hasseled any more than having to a wait a little while as they checked backgrounds more thoroughly and asked the DUI guy a lot a questions but most of the time it was those questions I mentioned above along with the alcohol, firearms tobacco question and then they handed the passports back and it was "have a good trip". Nelson is a fantastic place. Hope you hit Whitewater on your way there.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #33

Thanks for the tips. I will be ready.
petes334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009   #34

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Tell 'em you've never had a DUI and if they find a drinking/driving offense on your record, then admit it was a DWI. Just a matter of semantics and them asking the right questions
raftafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #35

odessa, Texas
Paddling Since: 1985
So, Porkchop, you got convicted of doing something as stupid, irresponsible, and illegal as driving a motor vehicle while drunk? Now you are whining because Canada--where endangering yourself and others while driving drunk would a felony--doesn't want you coming up there? Behaviors like that should have consequences. I would like to see DUI offenses reclassified as felonies here n the U.S. Then maybe morons such as you would be in jail rather than driving to ski vacations.

Thanks, Canada.

FMI regarding Canada's rules, go to the website Seattle.gc.ca and click on "criminal and other admissibilities." Oh, by the way, Porkchop, "pour" and "poor" are neither synonyms nor homonyms. You can find that information in a book we call a dictionary.
lackge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #36

student
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackge View Post
So, Porkchop, you got convicted of doing something as stupid, irresponsible, and illegal as driving a motor vehicle while drunk? Now you are whining because Canada--where endangering yourself and others while driving drunk would a felony--doesn't want you coming up there? Behaviors like that should have consequences. I would like to see DUI offenses reclassified as felonies here n the U.S. Then maybe morons such as you would be in jail rather than driving to ski vacations.

Thanks, Canada.

FMI regarding Canada's rules, go to the website Seattle.gc.ca and click on "criminal and other admissibilities." Oh, by the way, Porkchop, "pour" and "poor" are neither synonyms nor homonyms. You can find that information in a book we call a dictionary.
Really? Lackge must be a godd dammed saint. Hey dipshit, what about my friend who got a DUI while waiting in a parked car in the pasanger seet while the DD stopped to get a sodah? Because the kees were in the ignition it falled under a portion of the law that states the pasanger had "intent" to dryve while intocksicated. Once the officer found out the driver was compleetly sober he decided to use the "intent" law to nail the passenger.

Oh bye the way - I mispelled as often as possibal just to piss you off. Saint-on saint. I'm off to have sex with chickens.
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #37

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackge View Post
Oh, by the way, Porkchop, "pour" and "poor" are neither synonyms nor homonyms. You can find that information in a book we call a dictionary.
lack-age (did I spell that wrong? oh shit)
I bet you talk to your TEX-ASS friends on your homo-phone. quit casting stones
raftafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #38

Hey Lackage, stay in Texas, don't paddle our rivers and don't ski our mountains.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #39

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
LACKGE, who signs up then waits a year to make their first post AND they're from Texas?? I smell a troll under this here bridge...
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #40

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
dear mr lackage,

your are right drinking and driving is stupid and dangerous and kills people. I take full responsibility for my actions and and as a matter of fact have been clean and sober the last 4 years. trust me rehab cost more than a dui. My main bitch is that the snow cat operation as well as many other recreational vendors in canada take your money and don't tell you about these laws until you can't get it back.

what good is there law any since they let me in? i think canada just wanted my money, it really wasn't that hard to get in w/ my 2 dui arrests. I'm not defending driving under the influence it is wrong.

Its just strange to me to travel to France, and Costa rica w/o a problem then get hassled in canada. and yes my grasp of the english language is marginal but i'm hell of skier. GET OUTSIDE AND THINK POOOOOOWWDER!!!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote