BV/C-Wood Pass TR (Pic Heavy) - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2011   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
BV/C-Wood Pass TR (Pic Heavy)

In the past 7 days I have done 6 backcountry tours above the Denny Creek Trailhead at the closure gate in Cottonwood Pass. Denny Creek is most commonly used to access Mt. Yale, and less commonly Hartenstein Lake.

In past tours I had been eyeballing peak 12,739 a sub-peak on Turner Peak's (13,237) east ridge. It appeared to have a number of attractive bowls, chutes and glades...and I was right.

At this point we have an excellent skin trail stomped in climbing the mountain's southeast ridge. To locate the trail climb the initial 4-5 switchbacks up from the trailhead until you see the sign for the boundary of the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

within about 50 feet of passing this sign look for a well worn skin track heading off to your left.
This trail switchbacks up the southeast ridge rather directly, weaving through rock out-crops until you hit the first false summit at 11,265. From here you have a nice 1000' gladed run back to the trailhead.

If you follow the trail up from here you reach the base of the 1st bowl in another 250 vertical'.

I haven't skied this bowl yet, but the run-out of it leads into a nice chute and some well spaced glades.

If you climb above the first bowl you get many more options. It isn't too far to the summit.

From the summit you can ski out to the face of the east ridge.

Which offers multiple choices of lines, all quite enjoyable.

Continued below....>

lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Not too mention the east face drops into some phenomenal boulder fields/pillow drops.

The real highlight of this peak though is the north bowl. You can drop directly from the summit 1000' through the bowl before hitting treeline.

Then once hitting treeline you have your choice of chutes.

Quick and easy access high quality backcountry, no snowmobile required! Seriously, if your looking for somewhere new for some backcountry touring, check it out.
Old 02-18-2011   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That looks great. Thanks for sharing. Pretty bummed to be laid up right now...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Thanks for that, Logan. Really outstanding. Wish I could join you but the rio will have to do...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #5

Thank you for sharing. Looks nice.
Old 02-19-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Way Cool!

I had no idea such nice skiing was over there. Those pictures were great, and it may have to be a next great adventure someday. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011   #7

The next zone, .
That cant be "the wood" as we all know that there is no good skiing anywhere around bv .. That has to be somewhere around summit or maybe monarch pass... After lookin at it - yep I am pretty sure one of thoes pics was of the "perfect trees" on monarch pass !!

Good to see that you are gettin out in the local zones and it is sweet to see someone is actually takin advantage of the wilderness..
Old 02-19-2011   #8

salida, Colorado
def. in the summit area
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
nice work logan, awesome pictures. glad to see you are getting out, it has been good.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
UPDATE:

Last week Tom and I went for another exploratory trip on Cottonwood Pass from the Denny Creek trailhead. This time we crossed to the south side of the road and climbed the ridge above the Gladstone Mine to point 12,651 on Gladstone Ridge.

Looking south toward South Cottonwood and Mt. Antero from the summit.

We dropped in to a nice size bowl that then funneled into a very large chute (by Sawatch standards).

This chute dropped over 2000' before the trees finally started to close in.

The snow was variable, but the coverage is still excellent.

Just another easy access tour around Buena Vista netting a very enjoyable 3000' vertical.

Tags
cottonwood backcountry